Chapter 1

Kat’s POV
  I set my bags down in my new living space. My mother had turned my bedroom at the house into her art studio, so I was left the option to stay in the living space above the coffee shop. I didn't mind it though, since I got my own space. It wasn't big, with just a living room, a kitchenette, a small bedroom, and a bathroom.
   "Kitty, Dad says you have had plenty of time to drop your stuff off and get back down here", my little brother, Alexander, called from down the staircase. I rolled my eyes and pulled my jacket off. I set it down and ran down the stairs.
   "About damn time, Kitty", Dad shook his head, "We open in two minutes."
   "Dad, I just got home. Can you chill a bit?", I pressed my lips together. My relationship with my father was strained. He thought I was throwing my life away because I was getting a degree in photography. I, however, loved photography and believed that if you aren't doing what you love then you are wasting your time.
   "No. You need to get to work. You might as well work hard since you don't at school", he walked over to the door and opened it. A boy, around my age, immediately came in. He had black hair peeking out from under his black beanie. His skin was rather pale and he had dark bags under his bright blue eyes.
   He slipped his black gloves off and looked at my Dad, "Morning Mr. Pense."
   "Morning Mr. Drake. Kat, get Mr. Drake a dark roast coffee with a small amount of sugar", Dad called.
   "Coming right up!", I slipped behind the counter and began working on the coffee. I wasn't sure how someone could drink their coffee like this but I had an order to fill and I wasn't about to deny a customer. I finished the coffee and took Mr. Drake his coffee. Dad was chatting with him when I walked up. Up close I could see even more. The bags under his eyes were way darker than I thought they were and his skin was purple in his jaw, like he had been punched.
   "Thanks", Mr. Drake mumbled when I handed him the coffee.
   "Mr. Drake, this is my daughter, Katherine. She's been away at college", Dad's dislike of my school choices were dripping through his tone, "For photography."
   "You can call me Tim, Katherine. Do you enjoy photography?", Tim asked me.
   "You can call me Kat or Kitty. And I love it", I answered with a kind smile.
   "Maybe you can show me what you've done someday", Tim smiled at me.
   "I would love that", I nodded at him.
   "Well, stay as long as you would like, Mr. Drake", Dad smiled at Tim and then dragged me back to the counter. I kept an eye on Tim for most of the day. He just sat at one of the tables and sipped his coffee. He got a refill at least six times before noon. At noon I took my lunch. I made myself a Hazelnut coffee with Hazelnut creamer, then walked upstairs. I unpacked and sipped my coffee. I made sure everything was organized then grabbed my coffee. I walked downstairs to find that Mom and Dad had traded, meaning Mom was working with me while Dad was probably at home sleeping.
   "Hey, honey, how was your break?", Mom asked, smiling.
   "It was productive", I glanced around to find that Tim hadn't moved from his spot, "Mom, who's that boy? Tim Drake? He has been here all day."
   "Oh. He's a regular. Spends a lot of days here. He was adopted by Bruce Wayne", Mom frowned, "And I worry there might be something bad going on in that house... he always has new bruises. One time he walked in with a broken arm but wouldn't say how he got it..."
   "Why don't you tell the police?", I questioned her, suddenly worried about Tim.
   "I tried. They said there was nothing and that Tim said he got the bruises fighting with some kids at school", Mom answered.
   "But you don't think that's what's happening?", I glanced at Tim again.
   "There are too many new bruises daily for him to be getting into fights. But Bruce Wayne is powerful", Mom shook her head, "Let's not talk about this right now. We need to get to work."
   "You're right. I just can't help worrying now...", I walked to the counter and out on a smile, greeting the customer in line. Tim got in line and made it to the counter within three minutes.
   "Can I get another refill?", he asked, holding his phone up. He was glancing at the screen then back at me.
   "Of course", I grinned and took his cup, refilling it.
   "Thanks, Kitty", he turned and walked back to his table without looking away from his phone.
   I continued watching him for the rest of the day. He got another 9 refills including one right before he left.
   Once the cafe was closed, I walked up to my living space. I grabbed some shorts and a tank top and walked to the bathroom. I showered and put my pajamas on.
   I was getting set up in bed when I heard a knock from downstairs. I frowned and walked down the steps. Tim stood outside the door of the cafe, waiting for me. I unlocked the door and opened it.
   "Tim? What are you doing here?", I frowned.
   "I left my beanie here earlier. Mind if I get it?", he glanced down and back up, looking me over.
   "Uh, sure. Come on", I opened the door wider and stepped aside for him. He quickly walked to where he was sitting, grabbed his beanie, and walked back to the door.
   "Thanks, Kitty. See you tomorrow", Tim smiled and walked out. I watched him go and locked the doors. I walked back to to my room and flopped down, ready for bed.
   The next morning I was up at half past five with my Dad. Tim was at the door at exactly six. I unlocked the door this time and Tim greeted me with a smile.
   "Same as yesterday?", I asked with a smiled.
   "Yes please", Tim nodded and his smiled widened.
   "Coming right up", I made his coffee and took it to him. The cafe slowly filled with people and I quickly became busy. Tim of course continued to order coffee after coffee. It made me worry about his health. Mom and Dad switched shifts during my break again and we got even busier. I almost wondered if people liked Mom better than Dad and that's why it got way busier after Dad left and Mom took over.
   "Kitty, honey, your Dad and I would like to go out of town tomorrow. I was wondering if maybe you could take care of the cafe while we are gone?", Mom spoke between customers.
   "Sure. Just me?", I glanced at her and she gave me a small nod.
   "We were planning on taking your brother with us", Mom answered.
   "Where are you guys going?", I glanced over at her and the guilty look on her face made me fully turn towards her.
   "Well, we were planning on going to that aquarium in Metropolis...", she answered softly.
   "What?! You can't be serious", I pressed my lips together. That aquarium was one we had all been saving to go to before I went to college but we never ended up having the money.
   "Honey, your dad bought the tickets to surprise your brother and me", Mom sighed and moved to comfort me but I held up a hand.
   "I have work to do", I walked back to the counter, where Tim waited. I took his cup and filled it, a little more harshly than I intended. I handed Tim the cup and he frowned.
   "You okay. You seem upset", he tilted his head a bit.
   "I'm fine", I mumbled.
   "You are totally not fine", he pushed.
   "My parents and brother are going to this aquarium that we were all supposed to be saving up to go to together and I'm staying here to take care of the cafe", I sighed, my lip trembling a bit. I knew Dad was angry about what I had chosen as my major, but I didn't think he would do something like this.
   "Oh. I'm really sorry. Do you need someone to help you tomorrow?", Tim tilted his head.
   "Oh, you don't have to do that", I shook my head.
   "I want to. In fact, I've been thinking of applying for a job here for a while", Tim answered and smiled at me.
   "Well", I grabbed him and application paper and pen, "Then do it."
   "Gladly", he took his coffee as well as the paper and pen. I served a few more customers before Tim returned with the paper and another refill order.
   "Hey Mom, we have a job application here", I gave her the paper and then refilled Tim's coffee, "You know, you probably spend $50 here a day."
   "It's totally worth it. It's the best coffee in Gotham", Tim answered and walked back to his seat. I couldn't help but smile as I watched him go. It was nice to have a friend. All my friends from High School were anywhere but Gotham. They hadn't wanted to stay in such a dangerous city. Closing time seemed to arrive even quicker and before Tim left, Mom informed him he had the job. Tim told me goodbye and then left. Mom and I cleaned up and then Mom left, leaving me alone. I walked up to my room and changed into pajamas. I was pulling my shirt on when I heard glass shatter. I grabbed an umbrella from beside my bed and made my way down the stairs, wielding the umbrella like a bat. I found two guys stealing from our register.
   "Hey, assholes!", I called out to them and they both looked at me. Smirks grew on their faces and I felt the presence of someone behind me moments before my hand was twisted behind my back, causing me to drop the umbrella.
   "Look at this. Look at those legs. We could get a good price for her", a man's voice came from behind me and I struggled to turn, but he just grabbed my other arm.
   "I don't know. She saw our faces and if she escapes she could easily get us arrested", one of the other men spoke while the man holding me pushed me to my knees. I whimpered softly. I wasn't one to give in but the way the man was holding my arms hurt and I couldn't move to fight.
   "Guys", the third guy called as the other two continued to debate what to do with me. I looked up at him to find him staring at the window they had broken. I turned to look at the same window to find a man dressed in a suit.
   "I suggest you let go of the lovely lady", the man spoke and stepped through the broken window. I noticed an R on his chest.
   "Guys, that's Red Robin. It's one of Batman's people!", the guy who had first noticed Red Robin spoke.
   "I am not letting her go. She could get me some serious money", the man holding me glared and let go of my arms only to grab my hair. He went to pull something out of his pocket but Red Robin was faster. Something hit the man's hand and he stopped reaching for it. Instead he yanked me in front of him by my hair, causing me to yelp in pain. The other two men had already run for it.
   "I told you to let her go", Red Robin spread his feet, getting ready for a fight.
   "And I told you no", the man snapped, yanking my head back. I yelped again. For a moment nobody moved, then Red Robin shot into action, punching the guy before he had time to react. The guy released my hair and I scrambled away. Red Robin put himself between the goon and me, but the goon just got up and ran.
   Red Robin turned to me, "You okay?"
   I nodded, "Yes. Thank you."
   "You should probably figure somewhere else to sleep for the night", he said before running through the hole in the glass and disappearing.