Jo

An entire week had passed and Lena hadn't given me an answer yet.

Was I scared? Absolutely.

I think it was more of me being paranoid rather than fear itself. I didn't know how these things worked- I was Josiah King, for God's sake.

I didn't do commitment. I'd never even asked a girl out.

Had I felt like a fool while doing it? There was absolutely no denying that part.

But was I happy I did it, even if it didn't work out?

Absolutely.

"How long does it normally take for those things?" I asked, looking over at Aaron.

"Jo, man, you're stressing way too much," he said, his hands on his knees as he looked up at me.

I folded my arms over my chest. "You think so?"

"The more you stress, the more of a chance she has of saying no," he said, "you need to make her think you're calm and collected. Like you're confident in the fact that she has no reason to say no."

I just looked down at him. "I've never had to get advice from another guy about girls before."

"Happy to be of service," he said, standing upright with a smile.

I just looked towards the field.

"You know, Malcolm's got it out for Fred," he said, "and it doesn't matter how good of friends you and Malcolm are. He's going to take it out on you."

I just looked over at him. "I'm not scared of Malcolm."

"I'm just saying," Aaron said, "the man's got a temper."

"I know he does," I said, nodding, "he's also got a brain, he's not stupid enough to use that temper on me."

Aaron just shrugged. "Watch your back, man."

He patted my shoulder before jogging onto the field, making me follow him.

I looked at Malcolm, whose eyes were boring into me.

"You good?" I asked, leaning my head back, my jaw taut.

He didn't respond, just threw the ball at Aaron. He stood in front of me and we both got in position.

"Fred's defensive when it comes to his girl," I said, "and you were asking for it."

He just cracked a small smile.

"Don't try anything stupid," I said, cocking an eyebrow up at him.

Aaron threw the ball and Malcolm threw me down before I could even think. I'd never been thrown down so hard that I felt the wind get knocked out of me but this was definitely one of those times.

"Woah!" Aaron said, jogging over to us.

"Tell your brother to watch his back for his brother's sake," Malcolm said, making me lean my head back, "I'd hate for you to have to pay for his stupidity."

Aaron kneeled down. "Bro, you good?"

"My shoulder," I said, "I can't move it."

I tried to lean up but I fell back down, gulping.

"God damn it," Aaron said, standing up, "Malcolm!"

"Call an ambulance, or something," a guy said.

"I don't need a fucking ambulance, someone just drive me," I said, my free hand resting on my shoulder.

Rarely did I shed a tear, and I sure as hell didn't shed tears over physical pain.