we are (not) heroes

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀In his dream, he sees himself as a young child settled amongst the tall grasses. He has a book in his hands; he reads a sentence over and over.

⠀⠀⠀In his dream, he rarely turns the page.

⠀⠀⠀In his dream, nothing ever happens. It is just the beautiful, authenticity of the scenery around him and the book in his hands.

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela can feel his heart drop when she, once again, holds his hands in hers. The woman's eyes are pleading and full of honesty, and her lips seem to quiver when she parts them. One sentence was all it took to make him question his entire being; his existence; his life.

⠀⠀⠀"Mikaela, you are our king now."

⠀⠀⠀By the time Yuichiro was finished with his very long and exhausting conversation with the trading man, he was surprised to see that when he turned around— Mikaela wasn't there where he had left him. It wasn't like the male to suddenly up and leave, nor was it normal of him to wander around. His lover was a patient man. Yuichiro cranes his head in hopes to search his the other male, his hand curled and fingers glued together as he shades his eyes from the blinding sun. Soon enough, he finds the blond a few docks away from where he was, three people— two men and a woman— crowding him.

⠀⠀⠀But as soon as he'd reached them, Yuichiro noticed that perhaps, something had happened. Just as he approached, his gloved hand lightly grasped upon Mikaela's shoulder, the slave merely jumped from surprise. At this, Yuichiro narrows his eyes.

⠀⠀⠀That isn't like him, he tells himself, Mika never lets his guard down like that.

⠀⠀⠀"Mika," Yuichiro murmurs quietly, though loud enough for the crowd to hear. "Who are these people? I don't recognize them from our village."

⠀⠀⠀Suddenly, the woman flares her nostrils and stomps her foot down upon the dock, the wooden planks trembling beneath everyone's feet. The raven suppresses a mild screech when she takes a step forward, her hands forming into claws as she shapes her fingers oddly. "How dare you touch the king like that— have you no respect?"

⠀⠀⠀As soon as Yuichiro was sure she would grab him, he watched as Mikaela gently placed his palm on her shoulder and shoved her away. The woman, surprised, asked, "King, who is this man and why are you allowing him to touch you so freely?"

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela could feel that itching agitation grow in the pit of his stomach at the title, and the fact she almost managed to place her revolting hands on his lover added fuel to that fire. The rumbling growl in his throat grew as he carefully took a step in front of his noble, his voice hard and sharp, "I know you and your people live in the middle of no where, but this is Sir Yuichiro, the prince of this kingdom. I should be asking if you if have any respect for thinking you can just touch him like that." The woman visibly gulped, her words caught at the base of her tongue as she attempted to apologize, but she wasn't allowed the chance. "And for the last time— I am not your king."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro watches the exchange with mere curiosity, his emerald gaze trailing from his lover back to the woman in front of them. Confusion plasters on his cheeks as he notices how respectful and fearful she is of Mikaela; how she continues to call him one word: king.