SEVEN

SEVEN:
GUARANTEED TO BLOW YOUR MIND

SEVEN:GUARANTEED TO BLOW YOUR MIND

Roger
1972

   Dominique sat underneath my arm, pulled into my side at the dinner table. I looked around the table, locking eyes with Mary from across the way. She narrowed her gaze. If looks could kill... Mary would have murdered me right then and there. I looked away, not wanting her eyes to burn into my soul any longer. I felt guilty, sitting up with Dominique. I knew how Maeve felt, but Dominique made it clear. Was I supposed to wait around for Maeve to decide whether or not she wanted this? Us? I didn't think so. Apparently Mary didn't agree.

I watched as Maeve leaned onto Deaky, smiling and laughing at whatever it was he was saying. She had the most beautiful laugh, and a smile that could light up the room. I watched as she patted his hand, giving it a small squeeze. Gag. Dominique ran her hand over my chest, causing me to look down on her. She smirked up at me and I just looked off. I didn't know what I was doing with Dominique. I didn't feel for her like I did with Maeve, but things with Maeve would be complicated. Dominique is easy.

   "Freddie, is this really you?" Maeve asked, referencing the photo album that her and Mary were looking at. Freddie's from Zanzibar? I used to know a girl who was Zanzibari. At this point, Freddie was over at the piano, singing some tune and playing along. Such a Freddie thing.

   "Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday, Mr. Mercury. Happy Birthday to me!" I noticed John and Maeve laugh at Freddie's song. They looked happy. For fucks sake, Roger.

"Mercury?" Freddie's sister asked. Oh, they didn't know. He changed it legally.

"No looking back. Only forward." He told the room. I watched as Maeve scribbled madly into her writing journal. A new song. I noticed that she brought that thing everywhere and would often just break it out whenever something came to mind, no matter where she was. Her dedication was unbelievable.

I snapped out of my gaze at the sound of Kash's voice. "Freddie Mercury. Phone call." Fred got up and took the phone. My eyes made their way over to Maeve again. She was in a deep conversation with Freddie's father. Her brows were furrowed, like they always were when she was concentrating. I felt a jab at my ribs.

   "Umm, Roger?" Dominique asked, snapping her fingers in my face now. "Who are you here with? Me or her?" Dominique never addressed Maeve by or as her actual name. She didn't like her very much. Dominique ran her hand down my chest and leaned into kiss me. I pulled away quickly. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

    Thankfully, Freddie came back over to the table, keeping me from talking to Dominique about this anymore. "I have an announcement." He paused before beginning again. "One of the A&R men...
from EMI saw us recording. Gave our demo
to John Reid. He looks after Elton John." I felt myself gasp.

   "Oh my god, you're joking!" Maeve said enthusiastically, smiling around the table. Hearing her say something that I usually say made me smile.

   "Mr. Reid wants to meet us... and possibly, even manage us." Almost in unison, Brian, John, Maeve and myself jumped up from the table and hollered. I couldn't believe it. None of us could believe it. This was going to be the first step for us.

***

   "Pretty amazing news about John Reid, huh?" I looked up from my magazine to see Maeve standing in my doorway. "I knew someone would recognize your talent." She grinned widely. "Your guys... your guys' talent." She said quickly after.

   "Do you mind if we spoke for a minute? I have a couple things I want to discuss with you." She nodded, coming over to my bed. She sat atop my mattress with her legs folded in front of her. She wore no makeup and her hair up in a bun with a few loose strands. She was naturally beautiful.

   "What's bothering you?" In that moment, I forgot every single word I wanted to say to her. Thankfully, I didn't do anything impulsive, but I sat there and looked straight at her. Not too much better. "Taylor?" She said, bringing me back to reality.

"Right, yes." I spat quickly. "I... I— umm... broke it off with Dominique. Whatever we had..." I trailed off. It wasn't pretty. There was lots of screaming from the both of us, and she struck me a couple times, but I had it coming nonetheless. I couldn't say that I treated her particularly well anyway. "Well it's done."

I watched as Maeve's face lit up before she quickly suppressed it again. "Okay..." I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was trying to make it sound as if she didn't care, but I could tell that she cared. "Are you okay with it? Upset?"

   "No, no. I wouldn't say upset. More like relieved in a way. Things were not going to work between the two of us." That's for sure. "There was a conflict."  Having feelings for Maeve and not Dominique. I'd say that's a conflict.

   "Oh, well I guess that's good that you're well off now." She smiled softly. "If you need anything, let me know. If that's all..."

   My hand gently grasped her wrist, keeping her from getting up. I was very careful not to hurt her, just enough to get her attention. "I still haven't gotten to what I've actually wanted to share." She sat back down again, looking at me from across the mattress. "The conflict... it was with you."

   "W-What did I do?" She stuttered, looking at me with a panicked expression.

   "No, it's not like that. It was a conflict of interest. And by conflict of interest, I mean the conflict was me lacking interest in Dominique... and having feelings for you."

   We sat there in silence, her in disbelief of the news and myself in disbelief that I actually told her. Well, that went well. She finally stood up off the mattress and quickly made her way to the door. "I need a cigarette." And with that, she left. Leaving myself and my heart open on the bed.