About These Recommendations

Hi! In the past six months (Aug 2018-Mar 2019) I found out about Wattpad and have read many, many titles in the genre boyxboy, bl, homoerotica, chicoxchico, yaoi etc. I wanted to add to the compilation mix and share the treasures with others. This prologue is a summary of what I tend to enjoy so that you can decide if my recommendations might work for you.

I come to Wattpad hoping to find a man to fall in love with, or at least to like a lot. Sometimes he has friends and family members who are also engaging and interesting. He is going to fall in love, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, with another man. They are going to work through some difficulties and eventually end up together, for now. Or else the relationship will have to end, but if it does there will be the promise of happiness for the protagonists.  The plot will move forward deftly along the way.

That being said, I tend to read light, realistic but romantic boyxboy, chicoxchico bl yaoi etc. I read in English and Spanish but am writing this list of reviews and recommendations in English since it is my native language. These recommendations cover both languages but of course are limited to what I have read. So if you don't read in Spanish, some (maybe a lot) of these recommendations won't apply for you. 

The level of erotic I like is medium. There doesn't have to be sex for me to like and recommend the book, but  if it is sweet and romantic but not erotic at all I probably won't include it. If it is all about sex it is off-putting for me.

I don't have any recommendations of historical fiction/paranormal/fantasy here, since I don't usually read those genres. I have read some fan fiction, but I haven't liked them enough to include them. I discovered Wattpad through Merli fan fiction (yay Brunol!), so...

Still, that being said I have a soft spot for wild books, books that are surprising because of a crazy twist that works only on Wattpad. Bizarre plot twists are only a turn-off for me if they just don't fit with the story.

Unsolicited Advice to Authors:

I include some books that are not completed. Still to authors, especially young authors, I hope you consider finishing your books. Even if it is not the perfect ending. So it's a draft! Give yourself some closure and let yourself be proud of a finished product. I am older that most WP readers, and know that most of you will move away from this since life will get in the way, but it is really an accomplishment to finish a novel so don't leave it unfinished. Also consider publishing on the Kindle store after you finish. I have bought the books on my list that are available on the Kindle store. If you finish your book and publish it, you may get a little trickle of money over time that will continue to make you proud of your achievement. Of course, I have not done this so maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. At least have some way if possible for supporters of your work to help you financially.

Likes/priorities

good character development

plot that keeps moving

Realism (I very seldom read fantasy/magic type stories as mentioned above)

humor

mystery

romance

Stories where the characters get together quickly, but then have to make the relationship work

Slow burns

Pet peeves

1. Dislike public declarations of love at the end of books i.e. graduation speeches ending with a kiss, or declaration of love for the boyfriend, only a couple of my recs have them (but they are present in many many of these stories on WP). If a romantic love is present, the important thing is what the two parties feel, not that they broadcast it to a lot of people to whom their love story is irrelevant.

2. Comas: way too many people go into comas on WP stories, it is incredibly overrepresented--in fact at least two of the books I list have people in comas, but how many people do you know that have been in comas, especially for months right before they jump out of bed (not even possible) please WP authors you kill me with this argghhh

3. "Richest man in the world", people who are very rich, models, famous etc. for me are usually a turnoff although some of the books I recommend have them--this is also way represented in these books, and usually totally unnecessary. If the point is that you don't have to worry about money, upper middle class is much more probable. Very few people are models or famous, but many people are very attractive and talented. In part you will see that is why I like so much Mei's novels--she is writing about a world I recognize (although the percentage of gay is way high lol)

4. RIP character--some authors inexplicably kill off their characters with no foreshadowing and without there seeming to be much of a point. Why get us to care about someone you are just going to kill? It can be very amusing to read comments when this happens, though.

5. Ha ha stepbrothers--okay I have a stepbrothers story in here but you would think from Wattpad that every time someone remarries the step brothers would get together. I would never have guessed that this would be a common theme until finding Wattpad. I guess it is because it is hard to find something that brings people together enough, but really?

6. Something that is starting to get old for me is breakups, years apart, re-encountering each other and finding eternal love. 

My total turnoffs

I don't read mpreg, and tend to read lighter things in terms of sex etc. (usually a romance between two people who are not related although the popularity of love between step siblings is notable on WP), won't read incest (enough of a deal breaker that I will stop reading). Even so I think some of my recommendations are in yaoi hard, just keep in mind that it will be between 2 people without legal encumbrances to their attachment.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to conversing with other bl fans xoxo.