Chapter Five - Royal Guest

Depuis le début

Vulko and Aria shared a parting kiss before heading their separate ways, he probably to his duties and Aria to show Aurelia to her room.

That was the thing, growing up, while she hadn't had her parents' relationship in her life, she had had Vulko and Aria's. Of course, there was no shortage of affection in Tom's remembering of Atlanna, but it was different seeing it between two people. Whenever she saw the affection shared between her mentors, she couldn't help but smile.

"Right this way." Aria led her winding through the palace to a wing far from the Great Hall that she was sure she would never find again.

"Wow. This is - wow..." She was speechless as they entered the room that was apparently to be hers, a room larger than the whole lighthouse that she called home. "Excessive. Really? I don't need all this space."

"Orm had us ready the best guest room for you," Aria explained.

Why am I not surprised? That explained a lot. Wait, guest bedroom? She wondered what the royal chambers were like then.

"He really wants you to feel comfortable here," Aria reiterated what Orm himself had assured her of before.

"Yeah, no kidding." She half expected to find a gift and big sign that said WELCOME!

"And he's completely going against his father in doing so."

"Yeah. Old Orvax would probably have me locked up in the dungeons."

"He will if you don't start being careful about what you say here. Someone can, and will, report you."

Aurelia scanned the room again, quickly noticing the lack of a crucial thing for a bedroom. "Uh, where's the bed?"

Aria smiled and gestured for her to follow her through a doorway and into a wide space where a giant bed was. "Seriously? All mine?"

"All yours."

"Whew!" She collapsed onto the bed, letting herself fall back onto the cushy surface - it was the softest, most comfortable bed she had ever been in. "Well, I'll sure have to thank Orm for his hospitality. Yikes, after my intro to the king, I didn't expect his son to be so nice," she remarked.

Aria smiled. "That's his mother's kindness and compassion shining through him, her legacy that he continues to carry. I have always been the adviser to the Queen, you know. Your mother, and when your time as Queen comes, I will be yours as well."

"And if Orm becomes King, whoever he marries, you'll be her adviser too."

Aria paused in her wandering about the room for a moment and then nodded. "Yes. And I was also adviser and attendant to Orm's mother when she became Queen after marrying King Orvax, Opal. She was lovely, the sweetest woman. She bared the king a son, and her little prince was her pride and joy. She loved him so much, and he loved her. But she died when he was ten years old, and so his father's influence has been the only one he's had ever since. Vulko and I try to keep his mother's spirit alive the best we can when advising him, but Orvax is very strict, as you can probably already tell. Thankfully, Orm has retained much of what Opal taught him, although as time passes, I worry how much longer it will last with his father leading." She paused. "I had hoped your visit might help with this."

Her words caused Aurelia to sit up on the edge of the bed thoughtfully. So much pressure... People were expecting so much of her, and she didn't want to let any of them down. But she honestly didn't feel like she could help them, at all, not in the way they needed. And this whole thing was only becoming more and more complicated.

The smile that had fallen during the end of her speech returned to Aria's lips. "Well, I'll give you some time to get yourself settled and comfortable in this new setting. Come and find us if you need anything."

"Thanks, Aria."

"My pleasure, as always."

Once the chamber door closed behind her, Aurelia fell back onto the bed once more, sinking into the soft blankets which threatened to swallow her whole, and let out a heavy breath.

After a few minutes of lying there, she got up and began wandering around herself. She felt she could even get lost in this ridiculously large room, so she would definitely get lost in the rest of the city.

As she stood on her chamber balcony, looking out at the ancient-like city yet which glowed with the power of technology, she heard a chirping, and saw Daphne and the other dolphins swim over, joining her in her taking in of the city.

"I don't know about this, girls," she admitted to them with a sigh. "I don't know."

(Thank you for the 600+ reads! :) you all are amazing!

Can't wait for some more interactions between Aurelia and Orm! ;) Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed (as always!))