SEVEN

vii. boy wonder

 boy wonder

***

THE LIGHTS HAD FLASHED TOO BRIGHTLY and my headache could vouch for that. Walking into the courthouse was a troublesome feat, surrounded by flashing cameras and me almost crying.  

I was sitting next to Pepper and behind Dad, having no idea what I was doing there in the first place. I was zoning out like I always did until Dad called my name and tossed me his phone. We had kind of drifted apart over the months and my name felt foreign coming out of his mouth. 

I looked down to the screen he had tossed to me. It was a simple piece of code and it was easy to see what he was trying to do with it. It was also almost finished which meant that he wasn't testing me, he was showing me off. 

I almost considered not doing it until I heard Senator Stern's nasally voice invading my ear canals ("Mr. Stark-") and I set off to work. 

It took about 30 seconds in total till the images from Rhodey's super secret files were up on the big screen.  I tossed the phone back to Dad who grinned and held his hand up for a high five. I returned it as he ran his mouth again exposing some guy named Hammer who I had just noticed.

I don't know why Dad and I had drifted apart. Maybe it was because of Iron Man or maybe it was because I yelled at him but we had always bounced back from arguments like that. As of then, I hadn't stepped into his workshop in months and the last time we had a proper conversation was weeks ago. I missed him. 

I got my mind back in order again and all of a sudden Dad was walking out and Senator Stern was swearing at him.

Pepper gently grabbed my hand and we stepped out of the courtroom together, the aggressive flashing of the camera reawakening my headache. 

I needed a nap.

回回回

I was dramatically draped over the sofa, with my legs in Pepper's lap and a book in my hand. I wasn't even reading it, just pretending to, as I watched Dad and Happy in the boxing ring. A carefree smile was sitting on Dad's face but somehow, he still looked uneasy and on edge. 

A woman entered. She was strange, unlike any other woman I had ever seen: although my points of reference were just Pepper and Arya and they don't really capture the essence of most women. Her red hair and green eyes complimented each other perfectly. 

They talked for a bit, blah blah blah, nothing really worth remembering, until she stepped into the ring and completely wrecked Happy and his ego. I laughed out loud and she seemed to notice me for the first time. She threw me a lopsided smirk.