"Oh yeah? How do you know I'm even here?"

"Because, where else would you be?" He said, and the laughter was gone and replaced by something a bit more genuine, and a bit more serious, and a bit more like something I didn't like.

I hung up the phone without another word.

I tossed it onto my bed and ran a hand through my hair, before giving up and pulling on a pair of furry boots that'd been almost completely under my bed; they had to have been Nate's. I threw on a red flannel hanging on the back of the door and eventually found myself in the lobby.

I pushed the door open and walked outside, the frosty air instantly nipping at my exposed skin. White flakes fell rather gently from the sky and it was almost kind of pretty, because although it's Chicago and the weather was quite harsh in the winter, it wasn't bad tonight, really.

And then I saw him.

And I just kind of let out this chuckle that left me feeling winded, and my chest fluttered a little because there he was, standing in the middle of the lot in front of the college with a fucking tree and multiple bags hanging off his arm containing god knows what.

"You've got to be kidding." I said, and though the comment was a bit snarky, the words dripped like liquid from my vocal cords and it just sounded so soft, but then again, I often found myself unable to be anything but that when it came to him.

I tucked my hands under my arms and huddled my legs together, trying to keep myself as together as possible because it was just so damn cold. I had no idea how Luke had been standing out for as long as he'd been.

"I have never been more serious about anything in my entire life ever.” He replied with a straight face, and I laughed, because he really did resemble a child and I just adored that in the weirdest way.

I couldn’t fight the small smile that tugged at the corners of my lips and for once in my life, I just don’t think I wanted to.

When I didn’t say anything in return, this weird combination between a smile and a smirk formed across his face as he looked me up and down. “Are you wearing my boots?”

And my chest sunk a little. Oh god. Were these Luke’s boots?

“Maybe I am. That would explain why they look like girl’s boots.” I shot back gently.

“I’m pretty sure that’s my flannel too.”

“Well damn, Hemmings. Stop leaving your shit at mine, then. What’s yours is mine. That’s the rule in mine and Nate’s dorm. Says Nate.” I replied, and I didn’t feel as choked up as I probably should’ve.

“Nah, maybe I’ll start leaving more of my stuff over, actually. I like the way you look in my clothes.” He grinned, cockiness practically soaking his vocal cords.

I felt my cheeks flush redder than they were, if that were possible, since the cold air had drained the color from my skin and tainting it with a bitter red.

“I’m not helping you carry that crap upstairs.” I said, crossing my arms once more.

“I didn’t need your help anyways. I only said that because I knew it was the only thing that would get big, rough, tough Ashton down here.” He said, effortlessly moving towards the entrance of the dorms with all his shit in tow.

“Why’d you want me to come down here, then?”

“Because it seemed romantic. You know, this is the shit you see in romance movies. Well, with a few exceptions of course. ‘Cause there isn’t usually this much domestic - and non-domestic too, I suppose - violence and verbal abuse and stabbing and everything in romantic movies. But that’s okay, ‘cause this is kind of better, in a way.” He rambled as we climbed the stairs and wow, he had kind of a twisted sense of humor.