~Chapter One~

I'm home. That was the first thought that entered Lysandra's head as she shifted into consciousness. The sun was warm on her back, and she was safe in a bed that was her own, in a house that was her own, in a land that was her own, wrapped in the arms of a man that was her own.

The sunlight was streaming through the curtains, and it was late enough in the morning Lysandra was surprised Evangeline hadn't awoken her. She glanced to her side, to the man who slept beside her.

It was still a shock, to wake up next to the same man every morning and remember that he was hers, and she was his, and there was nothing bad about it. She much preferred waking up next to Aedion instead of Arobynn.

Lysandra reached up a hand and ran it gently through his blond hair. It was silky and smooth, and she smiled at the thought that he spent more time on his hair than she did hers.

She removed her hand from his hair and cupped his face. She marveled at the skin that was both rough and smooth beneath her calloused fingers, at the jaw that was normally so tense relaxed into a thing of handsomeness.

Gods, he's beautiful when he sleeps, she thought. That thought had her reaching up, just slightly, to brush a soft kiss where her fingers had been tracing his chin. His Ashryver eyes fluttered open as she pulled away.

For a long moment, he said nothing, did nothing, except breathe. Lysandra watched as he blinked the sleep from his eyes and sniffed softly. Then his gaze turned to her own.

"Good morning, beautiful." He said, voice still rough from sleep.

Lysandra smiled at him. "You say that every morning, you know."

"And I'll say it every morning until the day I die." He declared. His rough hands rubbed gentle circles on her back.

"Even if you wake up with me as a hideous, terrifying monster?"

"Even then." She chuckled at him, her hand still cupping his face. He leaned into her touch and let out a soft sound that could have been a purr.

"I don't think you're coherent enough to make such promises, Prince," she said with a smirk. "After all, it's only, oh... about nine in the morning?"

He gave her a playful growl. "I'm surprised you're even awake this early, sleepy-head." His grin grew, and he leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss.

"What was that for?" Lysandra asked. She tried to keep the same swagger in her voice as he did, refusing to let him know that a little kiss had her toes curling beneath the blankets.

"To show you I am fully prepared to give proof to my promises."

"Oh, really? Are you now?" Lysandra purred. Her blood heated in her veins. "Well, as much as I'd like to indulge in your promises, someone needs to get Evangeline breakfast. She's likely raided the whole estate by now."

Aedion pulled away, still grinning. "You're probably right. I suppose I will give you my proof tonight. Something to look forward to."

Before Lysandra could respond, a pounding on the door cut her off.

"Lysandra! Aedion! I'm starving! Get up!" The unmistakable cry of Evangeline sounded from the other side of the door, and Aedion huffed a laugh.

"Coming, just a few minutes." Lysandra declared, pulling herself out of the bed. She grabbed a shirt and pants from the pile of hastily discarded clothes from the night before and yanked them on, not particularly caring who they belonged to.

Aedion was buttoning up his shirt as Lysandra passed him, and the purely Fae look he gave her made her realize she must have donned one of his shirts. His expression turned from Territorial Fae Bastard to Kindhearted Caregiver in an instant, though,  as Lysandra opened the door to the little girl she cared for.

Evangeline's red-gold hair was already braided back, and she had on a simple green dress as she stared down her caregivers. Her citrine gaze had Lysandra cringing.

"I'll get you breakfast. Sorry it's so late." She said before the girl could speak. Evangeline smirked and followed her down the hallway.

They went down a flight of stairs, to the main floor, and headed to the dining hall. The Carraverre castle was small compared to others, like at Allsbrook and Perranth, but Lysandra thought it was the perfect size. Large enough to accommodate her family, and a fair number of guests, but small enough to navigate easily. She was forever getting lost at the Orynth palace.

"You could have called for breakfast, you know." Lysandra said to Evangeline. "You're practically a lady, after all." The young girl only shrugged.

"I thought it would be polite to wait for everyone else. But you two were taking so long to get up." Evangeline groaned. Lysandra chuckled at her exasperated expression.

She found a seat at the large oak dining table and called for breakfast. A moment later Aedion emerged from the hallway. He circled around the hallway, kissed both girls on the cheek, and sat down with a heavy thump that made Evangeline giggle.

When coffee arrived, the blond man drained his cup quickly and set it down. "What's on the agenda today?" He asked.

Lysandra shrugged. "Not sure yet. Probably cleaning. There's always cleaning to do." Evangeline nodded in agreement.

"Can I train with Ren instead of clean?" She begged. "I want to work on my swordplay more. He said he would teach me if I had time." Lysandra sighed.

"If you can get him to come down here, then sure. For a few hours. But you will have to do some chores today. Aedion and I aren't the only ones who made the mess." Evangeline bobbed her head earnestly.

"I promise. I'll train with Ren for only a few hours, and then I'll help clean."

"Good." Before Lysandra could add on, a servant arrived with the breakfast plates. They thanked the woman, and then dig in with the ferocity of the ghost leopard form Lysandra so favored. The eggs and bacon didn't stand a chance.