Chapter 1

*Calum*

I always saw myself as a no-good loser. I was the dork in glasses that never lifted his nose from his book, the geek that got straight A's in ever subject. I was a freak. But that's all behind me now. I stared a new chapter in my life. One without the bullying and name-calling, without the people I once called friends but most importantly, without the old me..or so i thought.

High school was most definitely not the best part of my life. I used to walk through the halls, my books in my hand, just minding my own business and all of a sudden, my stuff would be scattered all over the floor. Laughter would fill the halls and people would just walk over my stuff. Apparently, it's funny to watch someone go through hell every single day. Junior year was half way through and my excitement directly turned into bitterness from the first day back from our christmas break. Let's just say, it seems like bullies get re-energized over breaks.

At one point, things got way out of hand. This guy, Oscar, the basketball team captain and a complete douche if you ask me, walked by me. 'Hey kid.' he smiled, patting me on the back and walking away. Almost immediately, someone kicked me to the ground. One kick followed the other, pain erupting across my body. My stomach, arms and legs were sore from the beating. Last thing i noticed was someone scream 'Get off of him you jerks!' and three faces hovering over me, one saying 'Hey, are you okay?'

I woke up at the nurse's office. I tried to get up but the intense pain stopped me. 'Hey, take it easy. You were beat up pretty badly. Are you alright?' I looked next to me to see three familiar faces. They must be the guys that helped me in the hall way. They were all sitting next to my bed.

'Uhh, yeah, i'm fine. Did you guys help me?' I asked. They remained silent and nodded their heads. 'Well thanks for that but you didnt have to.' I continued, smiling sadly. 'Don't even worry about it, as long as you're okay. Why were they even hitting you?' The blonde one asked.

I explained how Oscar had patted me on the back, probably gluing a 'kick me' sign on my back. Knowing how immature my classmates are, they all started playing along. 'That sound harsh. I'm Ashton, by the way, and those are Luke and Michael.' he pointed to the blonde then the dark haired one. 'Nice to meet you. I'm Calum.' I smiled.

We spent the rest of the day at the nurse's office, talking and getting to know each other. Apparently, Michael is a senior and Luke is a junior as well. Ashton graduated but he stopped by to talk to them when they saw me. They seem like great people but, then again, I don't have anyone else to compare the to.

Don't get me wrong, I have had friends in the past but since the accident, things majorly changed. The thing is, I was in a car accident about a year and a half ago. My parents were driving me back from my basketball game and we got hit by a drunk driver. They almost didn't make it out alive, but by some miracle, they survived. Being 14 and watching your parents almost die in your arms because of you is probably the hardest thing to deal with. Yes, I do blame myself for what happened. Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I never invited them to the game or if I didn't take too long packing up my stuff. My self-esteem took a serious beating that night. I felt the need to make sure that nothing ever happened to anyone I love again, even if it means that I need to push everyone away.

Anyway, they spent the whole day with me. Ashton called in sick for work, which was at some restaurant or something, and Luke and Michael ditched class. At the end of the day, Ashton drove me home and let me tell you, it felt great not taking the bus. I didn't get shoved to the back or get called names or anything. I arrived home and thanked them for helping me. When they saw my house, they all looked so surprised.

'This is your house?' Ashton asked, his mouth wide open. I just smiled and nodded my head. 'Yeah. Do you guys wanna come inside?'

'We would love to but we have some work to be done and we need to finish it today. Maybe next time.' Michael answered.

'We'll see you tomorrow then.' Luke yelled as they drove off. I unlocked my house and walked into the kitchen for dinner. Mom and dad are basically never home anymore. Mom is a nurse and she works at the hospital and dad is an engineer who's always traveling places so he's basically never home anymore. I pulled out a box of cold pizza and went up to my room.

I ate and finished my homework then I went downstairs to the arcade. I'll say it's nice to have an arcade in your own house but without anyone with you, it's not that fun. I went upstairs to the gym room and worked out for a bit then ran to the 2nd underground level to the pool and swam for a bit.

Our house has been compared to a hotel or resort many times. I still remember when my parents used to invite my relatives over, they would always have a blast but things change I guess. I took a quick shower and went to bed.

Next morning, my alarm woke me up at around 7:30. I got up and took a quick shower. I ran downstairs and grabbed an apple. 'You don't want any breakfast hun?' my mom asks. 'No thanks. I need to get going. I'm not taking the bus today. I feel like walking and I don't want to be late. Bye mom.' I smiled and ran out the door.

The weather is getting warmer a bit everyday, making it nicer to take walks. It was still cold but it needed a light jacket or a sweater, nothing more. The 30 minute walk was so calming and refreshing, making me smile every time cold wind hit my face.

I reached the school gates and saw Michael and Luke standing outside, talking to Ashton. I didn't really get why he would come back to high-school after he was done but there was definitely something I didn't know about the group.

I walked towards the gates with my head down. I didn't want to embarrass myself by greeting them and not getting a response. Maybe yesterday was just a one time thing. They probably just felt bad, that doesn't make us friends.

I walked past and felt a hand land on my shoulder. I turned around to see Michael, Luke and Ashton looking at me. 'What? No good morning?' Michael laughed. I could feel my cheeks heating up as I greeted them just when the first bell rang. 'You don't want to be late to class. I'll pick you up after school. Calum you're coming with us.' Ashton said smiling. He turned away and left.

'Let's go. What class do you have first Calum?' Luke asked me. I replied with a simple, 'History.' He smiled, saying 'Oh I have that too. Cmon i'll walk with you. Later Mike.' he smiled, waving to Michael. I said goodbye and made my way to my locker.

'Oh look at that! The geek's hanging out with the band boys now. How precious!' I hear someone laugh from behind me; Oscar.

'You had better back off before I make you regret opening your mouth.' Luke says, inches away from Oscar, who was now pressed onto the lockers. Oohs filled the hallway as Luke turned away from Oscar, leaving him in shock. 'Let's just go to class.' he smiled.