Part 2

Credit to the Gif creator

Summary: Thomas has come back from the war a different man and is moving up in the underworld as the head of the Peaky Blinders, but what happens when someone from his past comes unexpectedly back into his life?

Word Count: 1481

Warnings: None

Please feel free to let me know what you think, I would love to hear from you.

Thomas' expression and smile said more than any words ever could, the sight causing (YN)'s heart to tremble with emotion and hope, making it difficult for her to hide her feelings. God, how she had missed him and his blue eyes. All these years she wondered why she had never really been interested in anybody and here was the answer standing right in front of her, looking more handsome than ever and gazing at her in a way that had her cheeks blushing with colour. Giving him a smile, she spoke, her words coming without a thought, spilling from her lips before she even knew what she was saying, "Tommy Shelby, how wonderful it is to see your face again."

(YN) watched him take a visible breath, almost as if he was collecting his thoughts, his gaze taking in every inch of her face, before he spoke, "Miss (YLN), it's a pleasure seeing you back in Small Heath, it's been a while, how have you been?"

Leaning her head to the side just a little, (YN) looked to Thomas her expression half amused and half flustered, though her voice gave nothing away, "Since when have you ever been so formal with me Mr Shelby, please call me (YN)."

Tommy gave an amused smile, she was right, the sound of her saying, 'Mr Shelby,' sounded so strange coming from her lips, "Okay then, (YN) it is, so what brings you back to Small Heath."

Taking a breath, she gave her shoulders a little shrug, "I was helping my Uncle at his shop while his sons were away in France, but with the war over he no longer needs my help, so it was time for me to come home." Thomas watched as her expression grew heavy and without her even speaking, he already knew why making him wonder how many of her cousins left for war and how many of them returned.

Not wanting to see her upset, he changed the subject, "Well, it's good to have you back," then shifting on his feet he unwillingly moved his gazed to the baked goods in front of him, "So, what should I have, eh?"

After taking a quick glance in her father's direction and finding him occupied up the other end of the shop, she looked to Thomas and waited for him to return her gaze, both her eyes and voice expressing just a hint of invitation. "You can have whatever takes your fancy, Tommy," unsure as to where her sudden confidence came from, (YN) felt her eyes drop to the counter and her ears burn red. Taking a deep breath to calm her racing heart, she gazed back up to find him looking at her, his expression sending flutters through her stomach, his little smile revealing just a whisper of his feelings for her.

Taking his hand, he took a step to the side and tapped on the front of the glass counter, "I'll have one of those" and as he looked back up into her waiting eyes, he added, "And that'll be all... for now..."

Biting the inside of her cheek, she handed him his goods in a brown paper bag, turning down his offer of payment, "Tommy we both know you don't pay for things around here."

Thomas shook his head, "Please (YN), I insist," then lifting her hand from the counter, he placed the money straight into her soft warm palm, closing her fingers around it. The touch of her skin reminding him of moments from a happier past, a past that seemed so long ago, yet still so fresh it was as if they only happened yesterday. A time when he was a different, more complete person. And now, with her standing before him looking even more beautiful than he remembered and her touch still lingering warm on his skin, he could feel those remnants of his old self flicker to life in his chest.

Thomas took a step back from the counter and with a little smile, he cleared his throat, "It's been lovely seeing you (YN), welcome home," and with that he turned to her father, giving him a quick nod of his head and a simple, "Mr (YLN), before turning on his heels and walking from the shop.

(YN) stood there in a daze, thankful there were no customers to serve, her mind too preoccupied with thoughts of Tommy when her father broke her from her reverie. "That man there, hasn't stepped foot in here since he got back from France, but he shows up the very first day you arrive?" Walking over to her he looked her in the eyes, his expression worried, "Be careful (YN), you know who he is and what he does, he's a dangerous man and he likes you, he's always liked you."

For some reason her father's words excited her, they were confirmation of what she had always felt, but could never really believe, that Thomas Shelby had feelings for her. Yes, he may be a dangerous man and anyone who knew him, also knew to never get on his wrong side. Yet, never once had she ever felt threatened by him, he had always been nothing but sweet and kind to her. And deep down she knew, that Tommy was the reason why no men had ever really shown any interest in courting her. It wasn't until she moved to her Uncle's that things had changed, not that it mattered, Tommy had always been the only one to ever occupy her heart.

(YN) had tried hard to forget him after she learnt he had left for France, she knew the heartache would be to much if he did not return and so she tried to go about her life as if he never existed. Yet, somehow she would always find her eyes scanning the casualty list in the newspapers and sighing with relief when she did not see his name. Looking to her father, she smiled, "It's okay Da, Tommy would never harm me".

Shaking his head, his eyes still full of worry, he spoke again, "It's not Tommy or his boys I'm worried about, it's the other men like him, the ones that want to bring him down. They're the ones I'm worried about." Taking another deep breath, he continued, his expression looking defeated, "But I can see there's no stopping it... Thomas Shelby has always wanted you on his arm, yet something has always held him back, but he has come home from France a different man and there will be no holding back from him now." Taking a step closer to his daughter, he placed a hand to either side of her arms, "You're a grown woman now and you can do as you please, but be careful, okay?"

The rest of the day went slowly, yet she had no idea why. (YN) had enjoyed being home, seeing her family and friends and people she hadn't seen in years and there were a lot of lovely new faces to meet too. And it wasn't as though she was expecting another visit from Tommy, she knew he wouldn't be back, not at least until tomorrow. So, at the end of the day when she looked up from sweeping the dusty floor and gazed across the street from the window, she almost felt her heart in her throat, her bottom lip finding it's way between her teeth. There he stood, leaning up against a red brick wall, his hands resting in his jacket pockets and a foot resting casually against the wall behind him, his eyes trained upon the bakery door. Watching, as he pulled a cigarette from the little silver case in his pocket, she felt her heart working overtime, realising he was waiting for her. Sweeping the mess into the corner, she placed the broom aside, telling herself she would finish it in the morning and called for her father, "Da, I'm finishing up now, I'll see you later," with that her father came through from the back and she placed a kiss to his cheek, leaving without another word.

As she opened the door, the little bell chimed and she watched as Tommy's gaze immediately lifted from the ground. Throwing his cigarette to the side, he gave her a smile that had her thoughts floating up into the air with the smoke he blew from his lips, unaware of her own smile that had spread across her features.

With eager steps they both began walking, Thomas taking his cap from his head as they met in the middle of the busy street, oblivious to the many eyes upon them. And once again (YN) found herself with unexpected confidence, her own words bringing a blush to her smiling cheeks and a little chuckle from Thomas' mouth. "Hello again Tommy, back for another visit already?"

Please feel free to let me know what you think, I would love to hear from you.