Chapter 17 The Dream

Start from the beginning

I hadn’t even noticed my head until… until before my mother and father left.

This brought more aching to my head.

You’re fine; you just bumped your head. I said to myself quietly. Just go get some water and Advil and you’ll be just fine.

But where… I think there might be some upstairs… Right. I’ll just go up there and get some.

If I’m able to make it up the stairs…

I’ll be fine! There aren’t that many!

I seemed to be arguing with myself rather than actually making my way to the stairs.

Just go Grace.

I slowly started to push myself off of my cot and onto the concrete floor. It was cold beneath my feet, sending a shiver up my spine, and without warning my head started to spin uncontrollably.

My legs grew numb and shaky beneath me, I reached for my head to hold it in place, but I started to collapse.

Just before I hit the ground, I felt arms wrap around my waist to catch me.

Josh.

I wanted to turn my head and thank him, but my body wouldn’t let me.

The light just started to shine through the windows as he laid me back down onto my bed.

When my eyes focused, I realized it wasn’t Josh. It was Kelsey. Her lips moved but I couldn’t make out what she was saying, and in another instant she was gone.

Wait! No, don’t leave me here! What if mom comes back? Who will protect me!

My head whirled faster and faster, and darkness started to entrap me in its insidiousness. I panicked when Kelsey wasn’t returning, but I couldn’t regain my strength to pull myself back up. I was so unbelievably terrified. I wanted to scream but I couldn’t seem to find my voice…

My dream was becoming a reality…

I saw lastly Kelsey standing over me with a glass of water in her hands, before the bliss of unconsciousness took over what was left of me.

***

“Grace?”

Was this another dream?

“Grace? Grace can you hear me? C’mon girly wake up.”

Kelsey’s voice had never been so comforting. I opened my eyes to greet her… as well as Josh, Ramona, and my father.

I looked around to see that I was now placed up-stairs in the lab. I moved my head ever so slightly and my head screamed in disapproval. 

“Try not to move too much sweet heart, you hit your head really hard… again.” My father said.

“What’d you do this time Grace? Run into a wall?” Ramona added.

I smiled to express my appreciation of her sarcasm, but I could give nothing more…

Oh pull yourself together Grace! You hit your head! What’s the big deal? Get up.

My subconscious was arguing with me, I figured I should listen rather than just sit here…

I can move, I’m fine.

I sat up and even though my head throbbed I continued.

“Josh, I really would like to be with my family right now, if you could excuse us? I’ll come find you later.” I said.

Everyone started at me, unmoving.

“Uhh sure, no problem. I’ll be downstairs with Brett if you need anything.” He got up and left without another word, and when I was sure he was gone I turned to my father.

“Dad… I want to help. I need to know how those things killed mom.” I was shocked at what was coming out of my own mouth.

“Grace, I thought you-“ I cut him off, “No dad, I want to do this. I need to help; I want to gain an understanding of how my mother was murdered. It might add some closer.”

“As you wish my dear.” He said simply.

“Dang, when did you get so strong?” Ramona asked sarcastically. “Since I decided that I want to make mom proud, and the only way of doing that is to help in every way that I possibly can. This is the least I can do.”

My face was unchanged as my sisters and father stared at me with wide eyes. This was going to be the way that I was going to over come my fears… to obtain strength. 

I also had to figure out what my dream meant, if it was simply a figment of my imagination, or if this could lead to a complete resolution as well as understanding of how my mother was killed.

Performing an autopsy on my own mother was going to be, in no way shape or form pleasant or easy, but I had to… to come to an assurance that this dream was not something that could simply be ignored.