Chapter 1

"You defied me three times, Potter. Your time has come to an end."
Two men stood across from each other in a living room, a couch all that separated them. Both had small sticks pointed at each other, holding them as one would a dangerous weapon.
"And so I will defy you a fourth, Voldemort."
A sneer curled on the face of the taller man, clothed in black, lavish robes.
"Then there will be no mercy for you. Sectumsempra!"
"Protego!"
Both men stared at each other in tense silence before a spluttered coughing came from the bespectacled man, and he crashed to the floor, red slashes appearing across his chest and stomach.

-

"Please! Not my son, I beg of you!"
The man, now known as Voldemort, ignored the sniveling woman in front of him, but rather locked eyes with his demise, a small boy of no older than a year.
"Any mercy I could have given you was destroyed the moment you decided to side against me."
"Please! I'll do anything!" Tears in the eyes of the redhead could be easily seen as she threw her arms up, as if to beg.
Narrowing his own, Voldemort sensed a stirring in the Earth's natural magic and quickly performed every defensive piece of magic he knew. Just as he finished, a massive swirl of magic smashed against the shields and nearly destroyed them. Spiderweb cracks could be seen throughout all of Voldemort's hastily cast magic.
The shoulders of the witch fell as she realized her attack did not work. She had been so unused to using her full power, and now it was going to cost her.
"Diffindo!"
Voldemort cast the sickly pink curse at the baby boy, and the foolish mother dove for his crib, forsaking a shield charm to use her own body.
The man watched coolly as her head slowly slipped from its place on her shoulders, and Lily Evans was known no more.
A loud scream echoed throughout the small house as a boy watched his mother get killed right before his little eyes.
"Yes, and for you. You have not defied me yet, Harry Potter, but I know you would, given the chance. And so I shall end this here, but let it be known that Voldemort is not without mercy. Avada Kedavra!"
Green light filled the room.

-

"Akzeptieren Sie den Vertrag*?"
A faceless, genderless being stood in the remains of the Potter cottage, staring emotionlessly down at the form in the crib before him.
The small child giggled at the weird noises, reaching up, towards the unknown person.
"Akze-pthie!"
"Sogar zum Preis deiner Seele?"
The little boy giggled and managed to pull himself up, standing awkwardly on his five-toed feet.
"Dann soll es geschehen, Wächter."
And just as it appeared, the unknown being disappeared, and the new orphan was left alone.
"Akze-pthie?"

*Do you accept the contract?

Even at the price of your soul?

Then it shall be done, Guardian.