Catch of the Day

It had gotten rather late into the night and Natalie was extremely tired of working on her history project. With a dramatic sigh the girl shoved the highlighter she'd been using into her ponytail and let her face fall into the open textbook. The pages muffling the groans of annoyance so as not to disturb her family as they watched a documentary in the living room.

"Hey, sleepy head." Tyler reached over and tugged the marker from her hair, using it to gently poke Natalie's cheek. He chuckled as she half-heartedly batted the offending object away from her face. "Wake up, we need to finish this last section before you can slack off."

Tilting her head to the side so that one half of her face wasn't pressed into the pages of the history book, Natalie gave her best friend an unamused look. "I deserve this nap. We've been at this for hours."

"You can get your beauty sleep when we have an A on this project." Tyler retorted with a grin, sliding the highlighter back into his partner's hair.

"Who says I need beauty sleep?"

"I didn't mean it like that!" Tyler protested, his face heating up as Natalie quirked an eyebrow. "You're very pretty. Probably one of the most stunning girls in school. And I definitely meant that in a friendly, platonic pal sort of way where I happen to think you're stunning....I'm going to stop talking now."

Kim walked passed where the two were studying, sneering at their conversation. "Ew, get a room. No one wants to hear you two flirting."

"Kim!" Natalie hissed, turning lost as red as Tyler. "Get out of here, you little heathen."

Cleo interrupted their arguing, tugging the youngest of the family over to the sink as they started arguing. Natalie and Tyler both cleared their throats as they tried to get over the awkward tension now hanging over them. Both turned their attention back to the notes on the table, distracting themselves once again with their assignment.

"Cleo and Natalie, come look at this!" Her dad called.

Natalie perked her head up, thankful for the distraction. On the TV a shark was tearing apart some fish in a feeding frenzy. Bitterness hit her tastebuds and the brunette couldn't help but be disgusted by the scene.

"How can you watch this stuff?" Cleo complained before she stormed upstairs.

Nat grimaced as she finally pulled her gaze away from the gory visage. "And this is exactly why I'm a vegetarian."

...............................

"God, that was incredible."

"I know right! Can you believe how long we can hold our breath for?"

Natalie and Rikki were handling becoming mermaids rather well, the adjustment period having come and passed long before. Now they'd finally gotten Emma on board with their enthusiasm for morning swims to explore the reef. The trio had spent the early hours before school gliding alongside dolphins and seeing who could hold their breath underwater longest. Natalie was convinced that the only reason Emma beat them was because had an advantage with her long career as a swimmer.

Lewis joined their table and Emma immediately launched into telling the male about their latest discovery. The blond looked impressed at their feat of fifteen minutes, though Rikki and Natalie were convinced they could hold out longer.

The blonde and brunette's playful bickering stopped when Cleo came over. Natalie already knew her twin still wasn't a fan of this development in their lives. That was why whenever the twins were together, Nat tended to humor her sister and just pretend that they weren't a pair of mermaids. Eventually her sister would come around and Natalie wasn't going to force the process along. As a twin, she knew exactly how to deal with her sister- though her friends didn't always heed her advice.