050.

050. Olga of Kiev

I just thought that today I would tell y'all about Olga of Kiev.

She became the regent of Kieven Rus after the murder of her husband at the hands of the Drevlians

She became the regent of Kieven Rus after the murder of her husband at the hands of the Drevlians. Her son was only three when it happened, so she ruled until he came of age.

Some time had passed and the Drevlians insisted she marry one of them so they sent twenty to her palace.

She, of course, didn't want to marry any of them, so she buried them alive. She sent word back to the Drevlians that she found them unsatifactory and wanted to look at some more.

They agreed and sent more. She invited them to relax in a sauna and then she burned it down with them in it.

Then she visited the Drevlians where a feast was thrown to commemorate her husband. Once her hosts were drunk, she ordered them to be all killed. About 5000 were estimated to have died.

Fast forward a few years, and surprise! She's at war with the Drevlians.

She began to besiege the town of Iskorosten. According to legend, she asked that each household present her with a dove and a pigeon as a tribute. She would take nothing more from them.  Then she tied burning papers with sulfer to the legs of the doves and let them fly back to their homes. As a result, the entire town was destroyed by fire.

She eventually became a saint for her efforts to convert the region to Catholicism. The Church also proclaimed her equal to the apostles which only five women have been honoured with.

Honestly, I wish I had learned about her sooner. She's an incredibly interesting person.