Paradigm

You awoke the next morning like normal: got dressed and ready for school. You were about to open the front door to leave the house when a familiar voice stopped you. "You're leaving for class? What about Carmen?" It was Player. You forgot the earpiece was still in your ear.

"Yes, I'm sorry but there's not much I can do. I don't even know her, plus I'm not exactly equipped with skills like you or tools like Carm." You spoke softly, as to not wake up anyone else, opening up your front door. You nearly dropped the phone in your hand as you were met with a person outside of your house.

"There's someone at my house." You spoke softly, stepping back and closing your door as rapidly as you could. Why would a boy that looked twelve years old be outside your house? "There's a child outside of my house."

"I am not a child, excuse you." Player said a bit offendedly as you realized the voice came from both the earpiece and outside. You opened the door back up a bit. "Player?" You asked, eyeing him closely just to make sure it wasn't another trap like with Carmen.

"Yeah, I was really worried about Red so I took the quickest plane here." He smiled at you but you were still just standing there in shock. "Now are we going to go save her or what?" He gestured to the shiny car parker on the side of the street that you hadn't noticed before.

"Is that a rental- never mind that, are you old enough to drive? Plus, I have class that I really shouldn't miss." All of your excuses only made him cross his arms and roll his eyes as you spoke.

"Listen, I can't be calling you by your name when we do this so I'm gonna assign you a code name. Like with Carmen, I call her Red." He was already pulling you by the hand at this point over to his rental car before opening the door for you. "Maybe something like Blue? If we're going with the colour scheme."

You shook your head as you got in and strapped yourself in. It was a bit cliche after all. "How about Paradigm?" He suggested, before hopping into the driver's seat. "As Google likes to define it, it's 'a typical example or pattern of something; a model.'" He said as he shut off his phone.

"Sure, why not. While we're at it, what's your real name?" You asked, leaning in toward him. You didn't realize you had brought your backpack with you. His face turned a bit red as he moved away, buckling his seat belt. "That's classified. Only Carmen knows my real name."

"You really care about her, huh?" The air turned a bit cold as he kept a straight face but noticed the tension, giving a light smile to clear it all up. "Yeah, I really do. She's my best friend."

Before you could say anything else, he changed gears and started driving off. "The tracker I put on Carmen recently was active again. It seems they had used a pretty big EMP signal on it that it could be knocked out for 6 hours. Reminds me of someone - two someones. At least, from what Carmen's told me."

-

You guys must've been following this signal for hours but the GPS kept rerouting. "Agh, where in the world is Carmen?" He yelled out, parking the car by the side of the road in a fit of (road) rage. He was panting from the anger.

He was about to hit his steering wheel when his eyes met yours, making his balled fists unfurl. "Sorry-.." He put his face into his arms before placing them down on the wheel, hiding his panic not too well.

You could hear small whispers coming his direction, but it didn't sound him exactly. He jumped up, his ear on his earpiece. "Carmen!" He yelled out, listening to every word. "Right, I'm... getting your location now." And just like that, a new route was presented on the car's GPS.

Without missing a beat, he skidded off the side of the road and en route to Carmen.

-

WOW OKAY this is not exactly x Reader yet but I promise it will come, but omg I feel like Im writing an episode of something