Chapter 42: Tantalize

YEEEEET DECIDED TO SPLIT THIS HUGE CHAPTER IN TWO FOR A DOUBLE UPDATE!!! DON'T FORGET TO READ THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER!!! ;))))))

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, LEAVE FEEDBACK, AND SHARE THIS STORY WITH YOUR FRIENDS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION AND SUPPORT!!! ;)

ALSO THIS SONG IS SO #FADE THAT IT HURTSSS!!! 

***

Death moved in a blur. Deadly talons sliced through the air, grazing my throat as I scarcely evaded his swipe at my face. Adrenaline slammed into me, but I couldn't react fast enough as his body twisted in the air, and his foot connected with my stomach.

I went flying, catching myself last-second on the wooden crates as I collided into them.

Plain exploded in my leg. The blow to my gut left me breathless before a howl ripped from my throat. I bit down hard on my lip to suppress it. Trembling, I looked down at the wood impaling me like a shish-kabab and nearly fainted. Squeezing my eyes shut and gasping for air, I tried to jerk my leg outward, when Death's fist wrapped around the end of the wood on the inside of my thigh, keeping me pinned.

"Not so fast," he rasped against my ear. The talon connected to his thumb brushed my upper thigh. Suddenly he unrepressed power sunk into me like a hot oil, mingling with the white pain. I'd almost forgotten about the pain entirely as my whole body shivered deliciously. "Breathe it in, Cupcake. Savor it. This is the incapacitating pain in the ass of being mortal. You won't always walk away unscathed by the enemy." His lips hovered over my cheek. "Or be unaffected by their allure."

The all-consuming agony of this moment unraveled me in more ways than one until I was threadbare. It made me all too aware of my humanity. How fragile I really was and how much Death held back his influence around me. "You are not keeping me impaled here," I gasped out, "like a goddamn hors d'oeuvre...to teach me a lesson."

He grinned. "How about you give up now, and I'll only toss you around a little more before I provide my list of demands for winning?"

"Do those big, ghastly horns... get in the way of your brain cells? I'd rather drink bleach than let you win."

"That can be arranged," he growled into my throat. "How's it feel to be impaled by my wood?"

"Barely feel it," I snarked back, my teeth grinding together when he pressed his thigh into mine, making the wood go further in. A nasty curse flew out as my hand involuntarily smacked into his bare chest to push him away. But it was like moving a mountain. Layers and layers of rock-hard muscle. "Besides the river of blood running down my leg and splotches in my vision, this is a walk in a park," I panted out.

Death's catlike eyes were so exotic and inhuman this close. "A little blood is normal during your first impalement," he purred, raising one of his talons to his mouth and making a show of licking away my blood. "Tasty."

My vision blurred around the sides. "Sleeping during the day, soul sucking one-liners, hidden lairs, eerie insinuations that my beet juice is seasoned just right... Sure you aren't just a confused vampire?"

He scowled. "I am not a tick."

"But you are a prick," I quipped, feeling sweat pour down my back as the numbing weight of his power seemed to lessen and the pain worsened in my leg. "Two letters away from a major identity crisis."

He smirked, although I'm pretty sure it was just to show off razor-sharp teeth. "Well, technically, I could drink your blood. All creatures of the night are meant to feast on human flesh. Mortal blood tastes like cheap wine to me, though. But if you were to offer..."

"My attraction to you is the most mystifying thing of the century."

His eyes fell to my mouth and his grin dipped a little. "Beyond a shadow of doubt."