Chapter Five - In The Heat Of The Moment

"No one's called me Lachie since high school." He said softly. "It's been either Lachlan or Key."

"Key." I mused, the name he'd used at the office to introduce himself. "Of course. Sorry."

"You can call me Lachie, Mads." He replied.

I looked at him as he focused on driving, he was smiling and seemed to be at ease.

"Okay." I grinned turning my head to look back out the window.

It wasn't until we were nearing home when I remembered the reason for my hasty departure in the first place. I sighed and let my head hit the headrest. I didn't want Lacey to hate me, but I didn't know how to fix my outburst either.

"Troubled?" Lachie asked.

"I just remembered that I'm a shitty friend and sister." I exclaimed. "They probably both hate me."

"I doubt it. Were you a little brusque... sure, but what you said was pretty on to it. They do like each other right?"

"I told them to go forth and bone Lachlan." I muttered through a guilty smile. "Who the hell says that?"

"Someone frustrated?" Lachlan exclaimed as he pulled into the driveway. "Everyone's said things they regret in the heat of the moment."

I'd been frustrated alright, but it was more about the situation between lachlan and I rather than any pent up frustration over my best friends crush on my brother.

Lachlan turned his car off and I hopped out. Almost instantly Lacey raced out the back door and engulfed me. Taking me completely by the surprise.

"All is forgiven." She squealed in my ear. "Henry asked me out. We're going to Stefans for lunch."

I was off the hook and finally they'd taken the plunge, but that didn't exactly absolve my guilt. I shifted on the spot and took a step back from my best friend.

"That's great." I replied. "But uh, I'm still sorry I shouldn't have been so septic it's just I..." I stopped.

Lachlan was still behind me, and Henry walked out the back door. I couldn't explain how I'd got so worked up, not here and not now.

"I guess I got out of bed on the wrong side." It wasn't much of an excuse, but it was all i had.

"I might go get some more sleep actually. Call me later Lace?"

"Sure." She smiled, but I didn't miss the concern in his eyes. I had to escape. As I walked passed Henry I apologized to him before slipping back inside. Once I was in my room I fell on to my bed and closed my eyes.

I must have fallen asleep because the next time my eyes opened the sunlight outside was dimming. Confused I sat up and rubbed my eyes, my stomach grumbled to rebel against the fact I hadn't eaten all day, well unless the coffee and half a smoothie I'd ingested counted as food.

Once I walked downstairs I realized my brothers and Lachlan were in the dining room, talking loudly and drinking.

"Nice for some." Kane drawled. "Sleeping the weekend away."

That hadn't been the plan, but it was a welcome occurrence nonetheless.

"I think I'm coming down with something." I managed to exclaim.

love-sickness...

"Well there is some take out in the fridge." Kane exclaimed with a hint of concern in his voice "Heat that up for yourself and maybe catch an early night."

I nodded and walked into the kitchen.

"While you're in there, could you grab us a top up?" James called out.