1: Partner in Crime (JPM)

Börja om från början

"You just killed him!" I whisper-shouted, getting up from the bed quickly.

"Yes...indeed. And you weren't in a position to refuse, my dear." He said in an uncommon, really old accent.

"What do you mean? You could've just let me kick him and throw him down the staircase. Who are you anyways?"

He smiled proudly before announcing: "I am James Patrick March, and I own this hotel! I do have quite a reputation."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It matters not." He turned to the side and began pacing, "Now, you needed my help and now I require yours." 

"What for?" 

"To dispose the body, of course. Is that a problem, my dear?" James looked at me expectantly.

I furrowed my brows and wondered what he was after with this request. Him killing the man chasing me wasn't what I was concerned about at all- he actually saved me then. Sure, he could've knocked the man out and murder was extreme, but I was just glad that man wasn't going to bother me. I was bothered by James' dated accent, clothing, and demeanor. They were so out of place that it didn't make any sense to me how he existed that way. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what my problem was, but there was something strange going on here.

"I guess not, Mr. March. You did me quite the favor." I gave in, taking his outstretched hand.

"Please, call me James. Here, you take his legs and I'll carry him by the arms. I have a place for him so neither of us get caught responsible for the murder of this lowly wretch." He smiled, grabbing the man's limp arms. 

We carried him down the hall to where the ice machine was. My head was wondering how James was so prepared for such a situation and what we were doing with this man's body. He told me to wait for a moment, dropping the man's arms and reaching towards the dumbwaiter in the wall. My eyes widened as he pushed the body down through it and I heard a loud snap when the body hit the ground.

"Wait! Don't you have laundry people who'll find the body?" I asked, panicked.

"Of course. Miss Evers knows what I expect of her and she'll clean the sheets until they're spotless. It is her sole talent and her purpose in this hotel."

"O-okay then." I paused before looking up at him, "You must do this pretty often to have this system in place." 

James turned towards me, "You're a smart one, yes? It didn't take long for you to connect the dots." 

"Why did you help me?" 

"It would be the utmost of crimes to allow some drugstore cowboy non-consensually chase and defile a lady such as yourself. I know about everything that goes on in my hotel, I had to intervene in the fastest method possible." He explained, waving his hands around.

"I don't think I can trust you. Why do you have all these chutes and ladders to hide a murder? I'm completely grateful, but I really want to know." 

"Well, it would be a shame to waste the facilities and one never knows when a dreadful criminal needs to be removed from the premises." James smiled.

"Alright then, thanks again. I don't know what could've happened if you hadn't come in. I owe you, James." I sighed.

"Indeed. I don't wish to impose, but I have a proposition for you and I sincerely hope you accept." 

"Ok, what is it?" 

He offered me his hand as he spoke: "Would you kindly accompany me to dinner tonight? Miss Evers makes a splendid Crown of Lamb, or whatever you would desire to have."