Cheated

Just a little something that I thought up last night :D hope you guys will like it!

Cheated

The sun was blazing, casting a harsh glow around everything, but no one but me seemed to notice how the birds plead for everything to stop, how the sun tried to burn everything within sight, how the sea breeze smelt like rotten iron.

Everyone thought that it was perfect.

Everyone but me.

“Dear, it's wonderful that you could make it here.” His mother smiled at me warmly. She was still the motherly kindred soul that I had met all those years ago. Even after everything, I knew that she would never stay angry, or put anything against me. “I heard that your job takes too much of your time.”

“It does,” I replied, smiling lightly. I looked around the flower-spotted hill, past the tall trees and out onto the tall, rickety old house that I once longed to live in. It was nostalgic, coming back here after all these years of using my job as a photographer as an excuse to run away. “But the pay is excellent and I help a lot of people.”

“You've never changed,” I heard a soft voice call from behind me. His mother chuckled, and smiled at us sadly, leaving us alone.

“You did, though,” I said, forcing myself to smile.

“I know,” He smiled crookedly – my favorite smile. It made my heart flutter and my cheeks burn. He always had that effect on me. “And it's all because of her.”

“She's good for you,”

“Nope,” He said, glancing at the tent where his soon-to-be bride was currently in. “She isn't just good. She's perfect.”

“I'm glad that you found her.”

“I am too.” he said, still looking at the tent. Then, he stared at me for the longest time. “How about you?”

“Same old, same old.” I smiled, holding back the tears that were threatening to spill. “As you've said, I never changed. I'm still running away.”

“No, you came.” He said. “In my book, that isn't what you call running away.”

“You might think that. And I thank you for forgiving me for what I did.”

“All of us were hurt, but you were the one that was most affected. It wasn't your fault.” He said. Moving forwards, he embraced me in a tight hug. I melted at his touch, but I knew that his feelings were purely friendly.

“But still,” I mumbled, trying in vain to hold back the tears that was already threatening to spill over my cheeks. “I left. I left you. How could you not be angry about us. If I hadn't left...”

He looked at me sadly -- guilt written all over his face. But there was no remorse. He never regretted me leaving. And that realization made my heart stop.