7. Confederate Memorial Day

Ottaline rubbed her heavy eyes as she sat up in the dark room. Reaching over she gave her younger sister a shake. "Rovy, it's late we have to get to school," Hauling herself out of bed she quickly put on her light blue gingham dress and tied her pinafore over it.

"But it's still dark outside," Providence protested.

"It's just cloudy," Ottaline said taking her hair down then plating it into a single braid at her neck.

Providence dressed then let Ottaline help her tie her bow tight enough so it wouldn't come out. "Are you sure school wasn't canceled again."

"I'm sure," Ottaline said searching the room for their books. "Hurry we don't want to be late."

The girls finished dressing and packed biscuits and cheese in their pockets to eat later when they had time. Heavy clouds rolled over the mountains and thunder rumbled up high. The winds were calmer today and so far it hadn't started raining.

When the girls entered the school house Mr. Habersham was putting wood in the stove. Two other damp students sat at their desk rubbing their arms and legs.

"Do you need help, sir?" Ottaline offered.

"Not thank you, Ottaline just have a seat," the teacher said. "I'll have the room warmer in a minute."

The sisters sat and Providence looked over her shoulder out the door. "It looks so sinister," she said. "Like the harbinger of something evil."

Ottaline put her books in her desk and decided to work more on her sampler until class started. A few other students managed to show up but after twelve minutes it was raining hard. Since most of the children on this side of the tracks lived in poor conditions it wasn't expected to see a large attendance in such weather.

It was still raining when school turned out and the children waited in the classroom for a break in the weather. When one finally came, Mr. Habersham took his smallest student and walked her home while the older children ran off separately with him wishing them safety.

The children vanished into the woods but when the sisters reached it Providence pulled back. "Remember the falling trees, Ottaline?" she said. "We shouldn't go in."

Ottaline wanted nothing more than to get home, get out of her wet clothes and start a fire. She knew however that Providence was right about the dangers. "We can take the long way around through Kilgore Field." She took her sister's hand and they changed their course.

When Kilgore Field stretched out before them Providence sighed in relief. Her leg was aching and every step was agony.

Ottaline found a place in the fence that had fallen down and she climbed over then helped her sister.

Kilgore Field was often used in the summer by the children for ball games and races. The sisters remembered how two years ago they had bested Craig and Chris Kennedy in the three legged race. Ottaline attributed this feat to Providence who was use to not using one leg.

The tall golden grass shot in all directions as it was blown by the wind. The sisters clung to each other keeping home and warmth on their minds. By the time they did get home they were exhausted but Ottaline worked up enough energy to get a fire started.

"I don't think Daddy will expect you to bring him his lunch in this weather," Providence said as she came in from outside with Bambi's cage. She sat it on the floor and proceeded to dry the rabbit's damp fur. "He wouldn't want you to endanger yourself."

Ottaline nodded. Rain was not an issue but going out in a storm like this would greatly upset her father. She took a seat on the floor next to her sister and wrapped a wool blanket around them and the pet rabbit. As she sat she couldn't help but think of the wares below them. Knowing the stolen vases were there made her squirm. Tonight would be a good night to be rid of them for good.