Conformity by Design by Linda Gerber

Start from the beginning

To understand the conformist philosophy, you need to look at the underlying values on which it’s based. In Japan, these values are deeply imbedded in the Shinto beliefs, which value group solidarity more than individual identity. Traditionally, the most important social value is wa, or harmony. The welfare of the majority comes first. Thoughts for oneself are considered shallow and selfish. One who is enlightened would let go of their individual needs out of respect for the society as a whole. 

This is not to say that the Japanese don’t have their own individual thoughts, fears, and desires like everyone else. They do, but they learn to distinguish between their hone (their true feelings) and their tatemai (the face they wear in public). If their hone goes against the harmony of the group, they are expected to rise above their own selfish feelings and “put on a good face” for the benefit of the group. (This concept of “face” was especially interesting to consider while reading Extras. . . .)

Compared to our me-first Western culture, this kind of philosophy may seem a bit confining, but social harmony does have its advantages. For one thing, you always know what is expected of you and what you can expect from others. That lends a sense of community and safety unheard of in Western countries. For example, one of the things that shocked me when I first arrived in Japan was to see little pre-school kids riding trains and busses unaccompanied. They wore little yellow caps and yellow flaps on their backpacks, which identified them as the youngest of all school-aged children, and adults—even complete strangers—would take special care to watch out for them and ensure their safety.

With this kind of community also comes a sense of belonging that helps to define who you are as an individual. And it’s not unique to Asian cultures.

In the States, people join clubs and societies seeking this same benefit of belonging. Each member benefits from the power of the group, and conforming to the group’s rules and restrictions is the price paid for that power.

Agreeing to conform isn’t always a bad thing. Members of sports teams, for example, purposefully work to think and act alike. They even dress the same, their team uniforms presenting them as a cohesive Group rather than a bunch of Individuals. Fans of these teams often clothe themselves similarly, which gives them a sense of pride and belonging (especially if their team is winning).

I currently live in the shadows of Ohio State University. This is Buckeye country through and through, and the community comes together each week in support of the scarlet and gray. It’s a great unifier; the same Buckeye flags hang over the garages of the milliondollar homes in Muirfield and the duplexes in South Columbus. People from all walks of life wear OSU jerseys and sweatshirts to show their solidarity. Even local business owners get in on the action, proclaiming their loyalty to the team. It gives the businesses a “we’re all in this together” edge. It’s hard to see a downside in that.

Many schools enforce a certain amount of conformity to ensure an effective learning environment for their students. Students learn that for the good of the group, certain behavior is not allowed. They are expected to perform to a set standard. Some schools even choose to enforce a dress code or issue school uniforms to promote equality among students.

Similarly, professional guilds and organizations set forth bylaws that all members must conform to in order to retain their membership. Doing so sets a standard within their profession by which they can be held accountable.

Even for the rebels of the Uglies books, conformity has its place. For example, the Smokies, living in the wilderness as they do, depend on each other for survival. They establish a society complete with a bartering system and work assignments. All members of the society have to cooperate within this framework for it to work. Even one dissenter among the ranks could be dangerous, as they find out after Tally gets there.