Afraid

ok so this is my very first upload for my first book :) this started out as a short story for school, but i decided to continue it cuz alot of people said it was really good. tell me what you think im open to feedback and advice :) the chapters might be a bit shorter than normal books but i want to upload chapter by chapter and them shorter will let me upload more often :) soooo hope you like it :) its called "afraid".... <3- Sierra Heil

I rushed through the thickening trees. The moon was beginning to rise high in the early summer sky, sending silvery moonlight seeping through the leaves above my head. Somewhere nearby, I heard an owl call. As if this wasn't eerie enough already, I thought bitterly as a chill passed down my spine. The wind suddenly picked up, sweeping dead leaves and dirt up into my eyes. I turned away, shielding my face. When I finally opened my eyes, only a few leaves remained, dancing low to the ground in the dying wind.  

I began to run. I wanted to spend as little time in these woods as possible. I looked up at the stars. I could see the big dipper to my left, and there's the North Star... which means I must be headed west. Perfect, I thought with a sudden surge of hope. If I continue west keeping my pace, I should be at the cottage within 45 minutes to an hour. I'll be late, but, heck, I'm already late. Long as I don't come across a stream or something... No. I wouldn't think about that. Thinking about that will just bring down my hope, and ultimately, change my pace and willingness. I need to stay hopeful, or I'll never make it back.  

Suddenly, something rustled behind me. I turned just in time to hear a low growl. I didn't even have time to scream before everything went dark. *************************************************************************** 

I woke with a start. That dream... it seemed so real, so vivid... cold sweat plastered my hair to my face. My pyjamas clung to my back and legs, my hands were shaking, and I felt like I had just run a marathon. My throat was dry as cotton, and felt cracked and swollen, like I had been screaming. Like I was in my dream, I thought with a shudder.  

I got out of bed, slipping my feet onto the cool hardwood floor. I padded towards my dresser and looked in the mirror. "AHH!" I screeched when I saw my reflection. My hair, still plastered with sweat, was distorted and tangled in a horrible mess. My usual curly blonde waves tangled in a frizzy ball on my head, bits and pieces hanging in my face. I began to reach for my hairbrush, than decided any brush would do nothing against my hair at this point. Instead, I turned and walked to my bathroom.  

Turning the hot water on high, I began to undress. As the warm water surged onto my skin, I felt like I hadn't showered in days. It felt like weeks of dirt and grime where washing down the drain, even though I just showered last night, right before I went to bed.  

When I got out of the shower, I wrapped a towel around my hair. After I got dressed and began to blow dry my hair, I glanced out the window. Great, I thought bitterly, rain. Today was supposed to be the day me and my best friend Lyla went to the local pool to go swimming. Guess my day's plans just went down the tubes.  

I quickly reached for a blue v-neck flowered top and my white skinny jeans. I grabbed a pair of socks and quickly made my way to the kitchen. "Good morning, Janna. I made some French toast today, if you want some. And there's orange juice on the table," my mom said with a sigh. I could tell she was enjoying the weather just as much as me. "Thanks, Mum," I answered, snatching a peach and a slice of French toast. Like always, I reached for the syrup, planning to drown my toast. I poured myself a tall glass of orange juice and sat down. I noticed the newspaper already sat on the table, still in the sopping-wet newspaper bag that they put on it when it rains. I pulled it out and gasped as I read the headline.  

Teenage girl Found Unconscious in Forest  

Late last night, a young girl was found unconscious deep in Westview Woods around 3:00am by park rangers passing by. Covered in mud, dirt, minor cuts and bruises, and torn clothes, it is assumed she had been chased, and we can only assume she was robbed. We found no evidence of physical abuse or struggle, other than the bruises and cuts sustained from branches and bushes. The girl had no money, purse, wallet or cell phone. She has yet to be identified. If you have any information on this young girl, please call your local police department.