Distracted: Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

Erin watched as his father crested the dune, lifting a hand in welcome. She hoped he didn't assume the worst. That she was a monster trying to steal his child. The little boy understood and slipped his small hand into hers. "Don't worry. He's not mean. I'm not really in trouble," he said.

As his father approached, he called out, "Hi Daddy. This is Erin. She lives next door with Mr. Spence." He whistled the last word through a missing front tooth.

Erin blushed at the words from the mouth of babes. "Well, I'm really not living there," she said as the man stepped closer. "I'm just visiting." Her voice trailed off when he stopped, towering over her. She looked into sad eyes, and melted. The man bent and picked up his son. Erin let go of his little hand and watched as the man hugged the child tight to his chest, his eyes closing in relief.

"Don't ever do that again," he whispered into his son's ear.

"I won't, Daddy," the little boy whispered back.

Erin couldn't help herself. She clasped her hands to her chest, her lips parting as she gasped at the poignancy. She shivered when he glanced over his son's head and caught her staring. He backed away, then swung the boy onto his hip. He snapped his fingers and Moxie sat at his feet, a ball of quivering, silky fur.

Jonathan rested his head on his father's shoulder and turned towards Erin. "Isn't she pretty, Daddy? Like Mommy."

Erin blinked. She swallowed. She couldn't speak. Spence told her about the family's tragedy and to be face-to-face with people who'd experienced such horror overwhelmed her. With the exception of her divorce, her life was a happy one filled with work and satisfaction. She'd never lost a loved one, with the exception of Aidan. But even he wouldn't go away.

The man dipped his head, his blonde hair falling in his face and shielding his eyes. Erin watched him bite his lip, noting the indentation there. He bit his lip a lot.

She stepped aside and turned towards the water. "Well, I've got to be going now. It was nice to meet you, Jonathan. And you too, Moxie," she said, bending to pat the dog's head. It lifted its muzzle and grinned at her. "Goodbye."

As moved towards the house, the man spoke. "I'm Paul Shepherd," he said, extending a hesitant hand to shake hers. Erin paused and placed her hand in his. He pulled his hand back as if burned, then looked away.

She touched her chest. "Erin Andersen. I'm working with Mr. Spence on a project, so I'll probably see you around." She glanced at her watch. "Well, I've got to be going now. It was nice meeting you both."

As she retreated, she heard the boy whisper to his father, then he yelled, "Bye! See you tomorrow." She lifted a hand to wave, then slogged through the sand and sea oats back to the house.

Once inside, she peeked through the window and watched the small family walk the shoreline, hand-in-hand. The dog ran ahead and made them laugh as it pranced in the waves. Soon, they were out of sight. Erin exhaled, not realizing she'd been holding her breath. She didn't know how to act around people who'd lost a loved one. She felt awkward and uncomfortable, worrying she would do or say the wrong thing.

She heard the front door open and a high-pitched voice call out, "Yoo hoo. Anybody home?"

Erin leaned towards the hall and watched as an older woman came into the house, closing the door behind her. She tossed her large straw beach bag on the floor next to the door. "Spence? Are you up?"

The woman saw Erin and froze. "Well, hello there," she said, a smile creasing her tanned, lined face. "Don't mind me. I'm Abby, the housekeeper. I'll be in and out in no time."