‹ E P I L O G U E ›

Start from the beginning

I wondered exactly where I could find her in this vast expanse of forest. Yet deep down I felt as though I knew. I quickened my pace and let my instincts take over. I am going to find her, I'm certain of it. When isn't the problem, where is. I ran for a little longer, occasionally stopping to sense my surroundings. I may not know my destination but I can tell that I'm getting close. The hairs on the back of my neck were beginning to stand on end and gentle shivers ran down my spine.

I was close, but this is the last place I expected to come. I could smell the old wood from here. I could hear the wind whistle through the cracks of broken windows. I knew exactly where I was headed and I dreaded every footstep that brought me closer. My run slowed to a hesitant walk once the structure came into view. The old house looked nothing like it had before in my childhood. Nature had taken it over completely. It was covered in vines that grew up the sides of the house and covered its windows. 

She wasn't in the house, of that I was sure. I made no move to enter it either. It is better not to disturb what's been sleeping I decided. I went to the back of the house. The last place I saw my mom. Ironic that it's the first place I go to find her. There was nothing but trees that had grown because there were no tenants to stop them from doing so. Yet in the middle of these trees, was a small circular clearing, almost perfect in its shape. In the center, was a single flower. My mom's favorite flower. For the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of it and that made me sad beyond belief.

With my head low, I walked into the circle and I sat down right next to the delicate blooming flower. Even though it was surrounded by trees not a single leaf blocked it from the sunlight. The wind shifted and I could hear her singing. I closed my eyes, letting my body change. When I opened them everything was still and silent. The leaves did not dance. Nothing in the forest spoke, not a blade of grass swayed.

I took a breath. 

"Mom?" I called softly, waiting for one of her signs. The wind picked up again, brushing through my hair like fingers. An indescribable warmth filled me as well as an overwhelming sense of love and relief something akin to feeling you get once you've found something that means the world to you. Tears filled my eyes and I made no attempt to stop them from spilling over. "Mom," I sighed and she sang back to me through the breeze. At that point the swell of emotion I felt caused me to break down, even worse than I had at Angelene's house. I cried and I cried. I cried till my tears ran out and my voice was hoarse.

I let out all my sadness and all the pain I'd been carrying with me. All the while my mom sang, the little flower swayed to the tune of her voice. When I was done and I had spent what felt like all the energy I had left in me I brushed away my tears and my mother stopped singing.

"I have so much to tell you, Mom," I croaked out. My throat was raw and a little sore but I couldn't stop myself from talking. "I found my mate, his name is Beau. He's my b-boyfriend now, "I blushed but couldn't help the pride that filled me. "He's amazing and kind and he treats me like...like I'm the most important person in the world to him. I get butterflies whenever I see him and I get so ridiculously happy that it doesn't make sense. He makes me happy," I smiled softly, brushing a brown curl out of my face."I wish you two could have met, you'd like him. I'd think you'd find him handsome, I know I do. And he's so tall, taller than even you Mom. His eyes are like melted Hershey kisses and they make me feel all fuzzy inside. He's even protective, just like you, and caring. He loves his little sister Rowan very much." I giggled at the memory of the two of them at the mall together, 

"Although sometimes he looks like he wants to strangle her. She very nice though I promise! She even gave Beau and I a gift even though I'm still not sure if Beau liked it very much. She's really funny and she has a girlfriend named Maria. They have a baby together, her name is Ellery and she's adorable. Their mother's name is Angelene... but you already know her..." I trailed off, nibbling on my lip as I thought of anything I could have left out.