Visit Halkidiki

History Halkidiki

According to mythology, Halkidiki was the place of a huge battle between Zeus and the other Olympian gods and the Giants, the children of Gaea (Mother Earth) and Uranus. The leader of the Giants, Enceladus, was buried alive in Cassandra. Since he tried to get rid of his tomb sometimes, he is the source of earthquakes throughout the region. Cassandra's prong was named after Cassandros, Macedonian King. Sithonia was named after Sithon, the son of the sea god, Poseidon, and Mount Athos owes his name to the giant Athos, who threw a huge rock at Zeus but missed him.

Top Destinations Halkidiki

Neos Marmaras village Halkidiki

Marmara is one of Halkidiki's cosmopolitan villages. It is a picturesque area, amphitheatrically built on top of a hill, 56 km southeast of Poligiros. In 1922, when many immigrants came from Asia Minor, the village was founded. The village attracts thousands of visitors every summer and there are many facilities: hotels, restaurants, fish taverns, bars, cafés, water sports.

Afytos Village Halkidiki

The small seaside village of Afytos is 46 km south of the capital of Halkidiki, Poligiros, on the north side of the peninsula of Kassandra. It's known as a traditional village with beautiful paved alleys and great vibes. You definitely should visit the ruins of the ancient Afytos and the folklore museum in the wider region. There are also many remarkable churches around the village and wonderful Moudounou and Vrysitsa springs.

Nea Phokea village Halkidiki

This city is the gateway into the peninsula of Cassandra and was founded after 1922 by some immigrants who came from eastern Thrace. The town is built on the site of ancient Potidea, an antiquity city founded by Corinthian colonists around 600 BC, which had a really turbulent history.

Nea Skioni village Halkidiki

According to Thucydides, Skioni was built by the Peloponnese Pelleneans on their way back from the Trojan war, was later colonized by the Euboeans and was taken over by the Spartians during the Peloponnese Wars. The Athenians took it back, destroyed it and murdered all its inhabitants.

Porto Koufo village Halkidiki

Porto Koufo is a small fishing village 80 kilometers south-east of Poligiros, the capital of Chalkidiki, south-west of the penisula of Sithonia. The village has an impressive history, even mentioned by the famous ancient Greek historian Thucydides, who calls Porto Koufo Kofos Limin, the deaf harbour.

Ouranoupolis Halkidiki

Ouranoupolis is a small town at the edge of the third peninsula of Halkidiki. Although the surrounding region is of exceptional natural beauty and fairly tourist-developed, Ouranoupolis is mostly famous as the port town from where the ferry to Mount Athos departs.

Top Beaches Halkidiki

Armenistis beach Halkidiki

Armenistis is a quiet sandy beach, 65 km south-east of the capital of Chalkidiki, Poligiros. The area is considered to be an excellent choice for swimming and sunbathing with beautiful pine forests around it. It is well organized with beach facilities such as sunbeds and parasols and one of the best camping centers in Chalkidiki, which attracts many visitors each year. 

Kalamitsi beach Halkidiki

Kalamitsi beach is located on the south-east side of the peninsula of Sithonia, 93 km south-east of the island. It is a place to relax, with a beautiful, golden seafront washed by the clear waters of the Aegean and small coves that visitors can explore. You can camp there, because the area is peaceful and surrounded by beautiful nature. But don't think Kalamitsi is far from civilization, as you can find many hotels, bars, cafes and restaurants.

Hanioti beach Halkidiki

This lovely holiday resort is located 64 km south-east of Poligiros, Halkidiki 's main town, and is a popular destination for couples and families. The beach is long with rough sand, but the water is incredibly clear and warm. Along the coast you will find many tourist facilities and water sports facilities. There are many fish taverns and cafes around the resort. The beach is partially organized, so you will definitely find some secluded spots to relax.

Pefkohori beach Halkidiki

It is a fabulous beach with stunning blue waters and nice facilities located 68 km south of Poligiros, the main town of Chalkidiki and 80 km from Thessaloniki. Pefkohori is a lovely beach resort and very busy during the high season. It is an ideal destination for nature lovers who enjoy some beautiful spots, such as the nearby Pagliouri beach, which is also a lovely campsite. The small beach of Vourvourou is wedged between the villages of Ormos Panagia and Sarti, on the eastern side of Sithonia peninsula, 51 km south east of Poligiros, the capital of Halkidiki. The area around Vourvourou is quite remarkable with tiny rock islands, sea caves and coniferous forests.

Important Links Halkidiki

Neosis Museum - https://www.noesis.edu.gr/?lang=en

Waterland- https://www.waterland.gr/en

Rent a Car Halkidiki- https://www.rent-a-car-halkidiki.gr/en-us/