Chapter Two-Deer in The Headlights

Wes' POV

My eyes flew opened when Kaelyn started pounding on my bedroom door.

"Wesley wake up!" She shouted

"I'm awake! Stop pounding on my door!" I yelled in response as I got up.

I guess I fell asleep, I thought as Kaelyn kept pounding on the door. I put on tattered jeans, a brown belt, high tops, and a white shirt with a red plaid shirt over top of that. Then I shouldered my backpack and opened my bedroom door. I stood face to face with my little sister who was smiling at me. I noticed she wore brown leggings with a jean shirt, tennis shoes, and a pink shirt. Her hair was parted into two braids and there was a white beanie on her head.

"You look nice. And I'm sorry about yesterday. I'm also sorry that you're grounded. I hit you first and I should be the one grounded not you," I told her.

"You look nice too. And it looks like someone had time to think about his actions," she replied as we walked down the hallway and down the stairs. She added, "it's actually not that bad. I can't watch TV or hang out with my friends after school for a week."

I chuckled. "You have it easy. I'll have to ride the bus for a week since dad took my skateboard away."

Her eyes grew wide in shock. I nodded my head and put my arm around her shoulder. Instead of moving away like she normal does, she put my arm around me. We walked into the kitchen and saw mom and dad making out. I covered Kaelyn's eyes and got out of the kitchen. I removed my hand and crouched down so we were eye level.

"On the count of three let's go in and do what we do everyday," I said.

"Okay," she replied.

We fist bumped then went near the entrance to the kitchen. We quietly removed our backpacks and I peered around the corner. I shuddered in disgust. They were still making out. I pushed the feeling aside and put three fingers up. Then two, then one. We both rushed in and we pulled out water guns from out pockets. I shot dad while Kaelyn got mom. A few minuets later they were wet and were staring at us with either amused or angry expressions on their face. I'm not sure which.

"Uh-oh," Kaelyn said.

"Run?" I suggested

Out if the corner of my eye, I saw her shake her head 'yes.' We dropped our water guns and ran out. I grabbed my backpack and rushed outside with my jacket in hand. At the end of my driveway I saw the school bus waiting for us. The good thing about this school bus is since the elementary and high school is close together, Kaelyn can ride the bus with the older kids. I glanced behind my shoulder and saw that Kaelyn was trying to keep up. I ran back, grabbed her had, and we both trudged through the snow across our yard.

A few minuets later we boarded the bus. The bus driver greeted us and started driving. I nodded my head and I felt Kaelyn tighten her grip on my hand. I looked ahead and saw that everyone was looking at us. We never ride the bus to school. Usually dad takes us since he teaches music at the high school. I nodded my head and I led her to the back of the bus. As we walked, I scanned the faces. I recognized all of them except for two of them. The girl had shoulder length curly brown hair, slightly dark skin, and brown eyes and there was a boy who had blonde hair and blue eyes and he wore jeans, tennis shoes, and a red shirt. I stopped walking and waved at her. She smiled and waved back. A smile spread across my face. I watched Kaelyn wave to the boy. He waved back to her.

Zoey's POV

My smile faded as the boy stood there grinning at me. I noticed his little sister trying to get him to move. After a few minuets, he followed his little sister to the back of the bus and I looked out the window.

"Zoey will mom get here tonight?" My nine year old brother ask

I looked at him and said "I'm not sure Aidan. Hopefully. But if not she'll probably be here in a few days. You remember what dad said right?"

I saw him frown and nod his head. I sighed and pulled him close. Mom is doing work in a different state while I'm here going to a new school. We just moved here from California a few days ago. I shook my head and realized the bus stopped at the school. Wow that wasn't that long of a ride, I thought as everyone stood up and got out of the bus. I got off the bus and stood in awe at the school. I looked away from it when Aidan gave me a hug then went off to his elementary school with the girl he saw on the bus. My gaze seemed to return to the school.

"It's pretty big isn't it," said a male voice behind me.