Chapter 11: There Was No Ransom to be Paid

A/N: Sorry this chapter is so short. I'll try to update again soon. Also, this chapter is dedicated to NiAb14 for their amazing comments and support!! :)

There Was No Ransom to be Paid

Cas slumped against a pole in a dark, damp hallway, his hands tied behind his back. He looked up at the angel standing over him."I've explained in detail, Malichi. I don't know how Metatron's spell worked. Therefore, I can't assist in reversing it. I was an unwitting accomplice."

Malichi scoffed. "Ohhh. A dupe. The great Castiel. Valued and trusted Castiel." He said the words sarcastically, strolling over to a metal table covered with instruments of torture. "Top-of-the-Christmas-tree Castiel, no more than a dupe." The angel paused, staring intently at Castiel. "Dupe or mastermind, you were inside the circle. You know where Metatron's weakness lies."

"No, I don't." Cas insisted.

Malichi sighed. "Theo." He called over his shoulder. A tall, thick man emerged from the shadows, stepping menacingly toward Castiel.

"No!" Cas cried, but the angel didn't slow. He slid an angel blade down the former Angel 's chest, leaving a line of dark red blood on his pale skin. He cried  out in pain.

"You'd suffer, even die for your beliefs." Malichi continued casually, his calm voice out of place after Castiel's scream. "I get it. But is Metatron, whose poll numbers have totally tanked, worth your life?"

"Angels butchering angels, is that what we've become?" Castiel asked, disgusted.

"Just following your example, Castiel." Malichi replied sharply. "How many did you kill in Heaven? How many in the Fall?" Castiel titled his head, squinting his eyes in his signature 'I don't understand what you just said' expression. Malichi seemed surprised. "Oh, you didn't know? A host of angels died when they fell--Azrael, Sophia, Ezekiel." Castiel's look of confusion increased at the last name. "'Died' doesn't even describe it. Devastation. Wings shredded, unspeakable agony at your hands. So, I think you would want to provide any information you have, considering." He paused, waiting for the former angel in front of him to speak up. He didn't. "Alright. I leave you in the hands of an artist. I don't care what's left." He added to Theo as he walked away.

Theo looked grimly at Castiel. "Don't ask for mercy. There is none." He walked to the door and shut it. "I'll give you one last chance for this to end."

"Give me a quick death." Castiel sighed, closing his eyes and bracing himself.

Theo's voice surprised him. "I need you to speak to Metatron for me. Everyone knows you have influence." Castiel opened his eyes, trying to gauge Theo's intent. "He'll listen to you. Ask him to raise me to Heaven. You can do this, Castiel. I'll be a soldier for Metatron, do anything he wants."

"You--you serve Malichi." Cas stuttered.

Theo shook his head. "I thought he was the answer, but he's crazy."

"You're noticing this now?" Castiel asked. "You were more than willing to do his dirty work."

"I did what I had to."

"When you were sure he would defeat Bartholomew." Cas scoffed.

"But no one will survive this war." Theo said.

Castiel looked disgusted. "So you prefer to sit it out in Heaven."

"I can talk to him about restoring your grace." Theo insisted.

Suddenly Cas changed his demeanor, realizing that he might be able to get out of this if he played it right. "Well, it's, um, it's true. Metatron and I have a working relationship." He lied. Poorly.

Theo didn't seem to notice. "I knew it!" he smiled.

"You're clever, Theo." Cas praised him, trying to think how Dean would handle this situation. The hunter always seemed to know what to say at times like this. Cas could only pray that he was doing it right.

"You're allies." Theo insisted.

Cas nodded. "And he could use a skilled soldier like yourself." He paused, pretending to reconsider. "Oh, but I don't know..."

"I'm a team player, Castiel." Theo assured him, desperate.

After a moment Castiel nodded. "All right. Well?" he gestured to his restraints. Theo unbound the former angel quickly. "I'll need a moment to make contact. And you have something that I'll need."

"Anything."

Castiel grabbed a scalpel from the torture-instrument-covered table and sliced Theo's throat. A white light appeared, Theo's grace, and slowly slid out of the cut and into Castiel's mouth. As the grace filled him his eyes flashed blue. He placed a hand on Theo's forehead and white light exploded from the man's eyes as he fell to the ground.

Cas looked sadly at the angel he had just killed. His brother. "I'm sorry." He murmured before walking to the door, pulling it open, and stepping through.