Chapter 8

"Tam? Linh? Can I talk to you guys for a quick minute?" Nala plastered on a smile and dragged the two over.

"What is it?" Linh asked.

Nala's words came out in a rush. "I messed up. With time. Sophie wasn't supposed to meet you guys now."

Tam shrugged. "So?"

"So, none of us can leave earth until the whole mess is fixed. Our powers are too weak to lead us to the elvin realm! In fact, they're so weak I can hardly vanish without blinking in and out!"

"What?" Tam yelled.

"I mean, it's not so bad! You guys have been to earth so many times it could be your second home!"

"But...but our treehouse! And the earth is so polluted..."

"You get used to it," Nala told Linh with a wave of her hand.

"Wait..." Tam turned back to look at Sophie and the others. "Even these guys can't leave? And everyone's powers are pretty much...useless?"

Nala gave a nervous chuckle.

Linh shook her head. "Hate to say it Nal but you've really messed up this time."

"What can I say? It's a gift!"

She did it all the time but it usually all turned out alright in the end. When Nala or Anita ever had a problem a thing their mother had always said was 'look for another opportunity'. Nala felt it was more helpful than the whole 'never give up' thing.

"Elves don't eat animals. What will we eat?" Tam asked.

"They're always vegetarian options! And I don't know about you but I lived on earth for a good amount of time so I'm fine with grabbing some chicken nuggets."

"Is it bad that I'm intrigued by those?" Linh said.

"No honey it isn't." Nala pat Linh's shoulder then walked over to Sophie and the rest.

Sophie's brown eyes settled on Nala's. "What was that all about?"

"Long story short, we're stuck here and you're going to live off salad and veggie burritos while I go to McDonald's."

"Wait...can you just go back to the part where you said WE'RE STUCK HERE."

"It was supposed to be Tam, Linh and I enjoying Iceland but you just had to follow me, so I'd consider it a partial fault."

"I can't live on earth!" Biana cried.

"Sure you can!"

"I don't like veggie burritos though. I might go rogue," Linh murmured.

"No!"

"Geez, Biana cool down we're not staying here." Fitz rubbed her back reassuringly.

Nala scoffed. "Fine. You can stay here and attempt to go back, while we three are going to England."

"We are?" Tam asked as Linh squealed, "We are!"

Keefe actually looked concerned. "Wait, you're serious? We can't leave the forbidden cities?"

"Why?" Dex asked.

Nala considered her answer. "It's hard to explain but something has happened that has caused a disruption in...time, one might say. We have powers but they're just about as helpful as a cheap magic show. People are working on it though!" she added when she saw the others' horrified faces. "It'll be okay!"

"But the earth is so...icky." Dex gagged.

"Hey! This place used to be my home you know!" Sophie said in defence.