The Other Side {2}

The day was tough. Taliesin and I had shared a lot of classes together before he'd switched his schedule, and we used to sit next to each other in most of them. 

                Thankfully, the teachers knew his reputation, and were keeping him in seats close to them. I did my best not to pay any attention to him, but it was hard when I kept noticing him watching me.

                I guess it wasn't right to still think of him as my boyfriend, considering we hadn't talked in so long. But we'd also never officially broken up after everything happened. Taliesin had just...disappeared.

                No, that wasn't quite right. In fact, Taliesin had taken the spotlight, rapidly becoming a notorious troublemaker. He'd become a new person, with new friends.

                But he'd disappeared from our lives. He'd stirred up all sorts of trouble and then just left, briefly coming back to kick the hornets' nest before taking off for good. Or, well, I'd thought it had been for good.

                I shut my locker, tucking my lunch into my bag and heading down the hallway. Taliesin would be back in our lunch period, but we wouldn't have to see him. We ate lunch in the student council room, and Taliesin's access had been stripped.

                I made my way to the student council room, swiping my access card and letting myself in. Nadia was already in there, sitting on the couch with her lunch. I dragged a coffee table up to the couch and sat next to her, pulling out my lunch and setting it on the table.

                "Any problems?" she asked.

                "None," I said.

                She slid some papers to me. "I printed those price comparisons for you."

                "You're the best," I said, taking them and setting them safely away from our food.

                The door clicked before opening. Leigh came bounding into the room, holding her lunch in her hands.

                "Man, I have had the longest morning!" she said, sitting on the floor across from us. "I've already had two pop quizzes. Two!"

                "Must be a trend. We're pretty sure Mr. Geary is going to drop one on us this week," I said.

                "Really? At least you guys suspect it. These were out of nowhere. I'm lucky I happened to look over some of my notes yesterday while I was doing homework," Leigh said.

                "I'm sure you did fine," Nadia said. "Just make sure to check your notes from time to time if your teachers are prone to pop quizzes. Remember Mrs. Romero, Gabriel?"

                "Pop quiz every five seconds, I swear," I groaned. "We did so many pop quizzes I'm surprised we ever learned anything to be quizzed on."

                "That was an exhausting class. Leigh, be grateful you never had her as a teacher last year," Nadia said.

                "I remember you guys talking about her before!" Leigh said. "She sounds horrible. I'm bad at remembering enough information to be having pop quizzes all the time."

                The door clicked again and we looked up. But I sank down a little as Kace came in, his expression angry. He shut the door with more force than necessary.

                "You two knew," Kace said, eyes locked on me and Nadia.

                "I assumed you knew too," Nadia said.