Chapter 1. La misión

The academy was quiet, no signs of students passing or going to their classes. The day was perfect, but it wasn't for Cordelia. It wasn't an ordinary day at their school. The school was silent. Unusual, she thought. Usually, the school is like the forest with all the noise made by unusual and unseen creatures. Everybody was out but she was there, in her room, pondering deeply on what might her future might be. She hated this kind of moments.

Suddenly, she received a knock on the door. She shrieked in surprise.

"Ugh, is everything okay?" said a lady who Cordelia might be Madame Merphi.

"Yes, I guess," said Cordelia, who was still deep in her thoughts. "Everything was going okay until you came."

"Excuse me?" cried Madame Merphi who seemed to have heard nothing but was still curious. "I need to talk to you, young lady"

She sounded serious, just like anybody else in this school. Cordelia always felt as though she was stuck in a gray and dull land. She didn't want to be here in the first place.

"Oh, sure," she said as she opened and the door and found a lady in a gray long dress. She looked impatient. Serves you right, she thought.

"The council needs you. The sovereign needs to talk to you on some serious matters."

"About what?" asked Cordelia. "Did I do something wrong?"

"I'm afraid I'm not allowed to give you any information. Please be at her office at 8 o'clock p.m, SHARP." The last word was given much force that Cordelia started thinking she might be really in an immense trouble. As Madame Merphi said the news, she left immediately. She left Cordelia with a lot of questions and mysteries.

Hours passed by and she still couldn't get over what Madame Merphi had said. An hour seemed like eternity. She wanted to do nothing but hear whatever the sovereign has to say. I shall prepare myself. I should look strong.

Finally, the long wait has been over. Well, almost over. It was already 7:58 PM.

The sovereign had called upon her so she had to go to the office. As she walked to the office, the place was entirely covered by darkness and the only source of light was from the candles piled up by the corners.  

Cordelia tried to relax herself before knocking. She was biting her lips, maybe she will step into the world of humiliation. 

"Cordelia Cast.", she said nervously. She was still wondering why on Earth would the sovereign call someone who's dull and ordinary as she is.

The door opened unexpectedly and Cordelia saw a lady dressed in black and seemed busy with all the pile of books on her desk. She looked through her thick-framed glasses. She smiled and Cordelia believed that she wasn't in trouble.

"We need you. Our world needs you. We have been keeping a keen eye on our students and as you are aware of, you, students, have been trained extensively by the best we could offer you."

Cordelia thought for a while what she should answer, she possibly don't care at all. "What do you want me to do, Madame?"  

"I consulted your abecedaries whom should be given a mission, a mission that needs to fulfilled." Ms. Lady-in-black told Cordelia drank her tea and continued checking all the papers infront of her. 

Who the hell would recommend me to do a mission? Suddenly, she felt her heart pumping more blood than normal. She felt as though she was going to pass out any minute. She needed air.

"W...w..hat?!" exclaimed Cordelia. "With all due respect, Madame, but I don't think I have the power to do a mission."

But the lady-in-black just looked through her spectacles and gave her a comforting smile.

"Yes, a mission, my dear. I put my whole trust on you. Our world depends on you. Our race needs you," she said reassuringly but to Cordelia, it was a threat, a warning that if she fails, the loss of their race will all be her fault.

"What if I fail?" Cordelia said in a trembling voice.

"You've been doubting yourself far too long. It's time that you believe in yourself. Think about it, my dear."

The lady smiled, Cordelia sighed.