Chapter 1

AISYAH

The sound that erupted in the middle of the bedroom disturbed my peaceful slumber. I searched groggily for the source of the chaotic noise, only to find my brother, Adam hitting two pans mercilessly.

"What in the world, Adam?!" I heard one of my sisters shouted while covering her head with a pillow.

"Fajr, dummy." Adam said simply.

Groaning, I forced myself to rise from my bed and made my way to the bathroom that all of us shared for the time being. I brushed my teeth and performed ablution.

I saw Afeeya had went back to sleep when I stepped out and Aleesha was rubbing her eyes about to stand up.

"Don't bother waking her up. She's on her period." Aleesha whispered to me.

I nodded and quietly replied, "Alright."

I put on my praying attire sleepily and walked to the prayer room with Aleesha. I sat down next to my mother and Aleesha.

"Assalamualaikum," I greeted quietly. Respectful of other people's peace, unlike someone (Adam).

"Wa'alaikumusalam," Both my parents replied.

My father who I called Abah sat in the Imam spot. He glanced at me and gave me a small smile which I returned before returning to reciting his dhikrs.

I kissed my mother's cheek and placed my head gently on her shoulder. I was still sleepy and not to mention, extremely jetlagged.

The ambience of the prayer room with a small whisper of dhikrs from my parents made me even sleepier. But the sound of Adzan filled the room and Adam walked in seconds later.

"AllahuAkbar, AllahuAkbar."

-

After prayers, we always kiss my parents' hand. This was a habit since we were children.

Today was the first time since a year that I kissed my parents' hands. I was succeeding at keeping my emotions at bay so I would not burst out crying.

"Aisyah." My father whispered. He wrapped his arms around me tightly.

It took me by surprise slightly. But I only hugged him back gratefully. I did not think too much of the hug until I heard him sniffed.

"Are you crying, Abah?" I asked softly as I pulled away from the hug.

He denied it and laughed it off. I squinted my eyes at him as he turned to Aleesha and Adam. I brushed off the weird feeling brewing in my heart and turned to kiss my mother's hands.

"Oh habibti." Ummi said, brushing my covered head.

"We had missed you so much." She whispered as we embraced.

It took a lot of myself not to break down right then and there. I held her tightly, refusing to let go.

"I missed you too, Ummi. Very, very much."

-

"Aisyah! Hurry up!" Adam exclaimed loudly for the tenth time.

I was not even that late, he was being dramatic as always.

"Hang on a second." I placed my praying attire neatly on my desk after having prayed Dhuhr.

I rushed down the stairs and saw Adam pacing in an agitated manner in the living room.

"Adam, why the rush? I thought you are taking me out for a relaxing day." I said nonchalantly. A vivid contrast to Adam's nervous demeanor.

I stepped into the kitchen and immediately stuffed my mouth with the hash browns in the pan.