Chapter Two - Bare Faced Lies

Start from the beginning

Mom had fallen sick when I was 5, and then, three weeks before my 6th birthday my mother's illness took her. My father disappeared not long after that. Kane being the eldest, had raised me, with help from the others. They hadn't been able save Mom, so I had always guessed they felt they needed to protect me instead.

I understand why they are like that, I always have, but it had never made living through it any easier.

Headlights flashed breaking me from my gaze. The bus was here, it pulled over and the doors opened. I paid the fare and took a seat.

The ride home was quick, faster than usual, but I knew that was because peak hour was well and truly over. I pulled the cord before my stop, the brakes squealed beneath me as the bus pulled to a stop, bracing myself for the onslaught of parental over-protectiveness I sucked in a deep breath.

I got off the bus and walked down the pavement toward the house. I already knew Kane was going to be furious. Even though I'd been at work and not a party he was not going to be happy I was late.

Sure enough as I turned into the drive all four of my brothers sat on the front porch waiting for me to arrive. I sighed, even though it was James' return, I was the center of attention.

"Mads. You were meant to be back an hour ago." Kane bellowed as he rose to his feet. His eyes were dark and he had no semblance of a smile anywhere on his face.

"The bus was late." I explained, even though it was a bare faced lie. I'd grown quite good at them when they were necessary.

"I would have picked you up." He replied, sounding annoyed. "You knew James was coming back today."

I nodded and looked at James, my second eldest brother whom I had not seen since Christmas. He grinned at me and leapt to his feet, jumping down off the balcony and yanking me into his arms.

"Sis." He laughed. "I've missed you."

I smiled and hugged him back. I had missed him too, out of all my brothers, surprisingly James was the one who went the easiest on me. The one I'd always been closest to... The one whose best friend I'd just made out with.

I swallowed my guilt and pulled back. James set me down on the grass. "So working huh, I forgot." he replied. "What are you doing?"

I opened my mouth to talk, to tell him I was a coffee runner at a newspaper. But before I could Kane answered for me.

"On The Point as the lackey who fetches coffee and posts parcels."

"On The Point?" James said, his eyebrows arched. Of course he knew. He and Lachlan had been at college together. I nodded, agreeing with Kane's half right description.

"On the Point, where Lachlan is the new Editor in Chief." James clarified.

"Yes." I nodded, confirming what I didn't want to confirm.

"How about that." James laughed. "Well, I hope you don't get sick of seeing your new boss."

I frowned and shook my head. "It's a part time job, I'll see him a few times a week if I'm lucky."

James laughed again and pointed to the others.

"We all agreed that Lachlan could stay here in the unit out the back. His parents still haven't grown on the fact he stopped studying law."

My stomach rolled. This was not happening. I couldn't comprehend it, let alone process it. Someone in the karma department had my number and was dialling in all it could on me. I shifted on the spot and tried to make it look like this news meant nothing to me at all. I knew I was close to losing it though, so decided to get away before everything spilled out.

"Oh, cool. Um well I'm tired. I might take a shower and then you can tell me all about your new job." I smiled. Walking up the front steps and inside quickly before anyone could say anything else to distract me.

Instead of going upstairs to shower I ran out the back door, across the yard and past the unit my brothers had so kindly given to Lachlan to use, I ran until I reached the jetty and tried to breath, but the air in my throat was dry and I new a silent scream wouldn't cut it, so I ran down the jetty and leapt into the water, fully clothed. The rush of coolness washed over me, somewhat dulling the guilt and confusion barreling through me, but it still wasn't enough to deafen the need to scream. I dived down, until there was pitch blackness all around me and let out a scream, that above ground would have pierced eardrums and smashed glass. Then as adrenaline wore off, the water grew colder. I swum to the surface. My body began to shiver and my teeth chatter. I swam to the jetty and pulled myself out of the river.

Tears rolled down my cheeks, it had been a solid 10 months of feeling like for once I belonged, even if I'd had to lie about who I was to feel it. Everything was going to change now, I couldn't expect Lachlan to lie to my brothers, and I couldn't expect him to let me keep my job. I stared out at the river, the moonlight bounced off of the ripples, and as they moved with the current, they glistened and danced. Right now I wanted to move with the current too, free and unbridled. Instead I was a mess, a reed stuck to the riverbed, drowning in my own lies.

"Mads." A soft voice murmured from behind me. I felt my body tense and my eyes widen. I didn't even know how to begin to explain why I was soaking wet, and out here. I sucked in a breath but no words escaped my mouth. I was silenced.

Warmth surrounded me, and a smell I recognized filled my nostrils. Mandarin and cedarwood, I looked at my arms, now covered with a warm dry jacket.

I looked beside me as the owner of the voice knelt beside me. I turned my head to face him and hoped that the darkness would be enough to obscure my puffy red eyes.

"I'm sorry I didn't warn you about the living arrangements." Lachlan whispered.

I shrugged and turned back to the water. "It's the least of my worries though isn't it."

"I haven't told anyone." He said slowly. "And I won't... Yet. but we will need to talk, soon."