coming out

i've always known grayson was different, ever since us two were kids.

he has a secret, and it's bothering him.

bothering him so much to the point where he's gone mute, trying to push as many people away as he can.

but i won't let that happen, i won't let his stupid decision of closing him self out to everyone get in the way of our friendship.

i mean, we've been best friend since babies.

-

i push the food around on my plate, not really feeling in the mood to eat. (never a mood tbh)

"y/n you're not eating?" my mom's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, my thoughts about grayson.

"i'm not that hungry. sorry mom." i admit.

"that's ok. do you feel okay?" she says, furrowing her eyebrows as she presses her cold hand against my forehead, making me blush and smile.

"mom i'm fine. i'm just thinking about gray-" i start but immediately stop talking once my mom starts to shout over me.

"grayson!" she gasps.

"how is he? i haven't seen him in a while, i kind of miss him. he's like my second child!" she purses her lips, beginning to wash up the dirty plates.

"he's very quiet. like he's hiding something. and i can't figure him out, he's always been good at hiding his emotions and his thoughts. so i don't really know what to do right now." i shrug, spinning around on my chair.

"oh no, bless him. why don't you go and check on him? maybe he's sad about something." my mom suggests, and i think for a second.

"i don't want to pressure him to tell me, he can tell me whatever he's hiding whenever he's ready. as much as i want to know, i guess he's just not ready."

"or! he's scared to tell anyone." she says.

"but he's told me everything. he's so open, i'm his best friend, i remember once he said that he tells me everything before he tells ethan. now that's saying something." i smile a little.

"go and hang out with him or something. don't ask him to tell you straight away, just make sure he's happy." she says, patting my back as a way to tell me to go.

"okay. thanks mom."

"of course honey."

-

i grab an oversized hoodie, before sending grayson a quick text.

hey, mind if we hang out? i'm bored and i haven't seen you in a while. love you x

i put some shoes on, waiting for a reply.

i know he'll say yes.

only a few seconds later, my phone lights up and pings, with a text saying,

sure. wanna come here? my parents are asleep already, ethan is around his girlfriends, and Cameron is at college, obviously. so please keep me company lmao
love you more y/n xx

a huge smile spreads across my face, making my cheeks hurt.

i run down the stairs, skipping some at the end and running to my front door.

"have fun!" i hear my mom shout before i shut the door, running across the street to his house.

i run around the back of his house, looking up and seeing his window open, with his head soon poking out of it.

i smile, beginning to climb up the little ladder he added to the brick wall, so it's easier for us to sneak a sleepover now and then.

he grabs my hand, pulling me inside, making me drop on the floor.

i squeal, getting up and jumping into his arms, he falls back onto his bed from the sudden impact of me hitting his chest. but soon hugs me back, kissing the side of my face.

"how have you been?" i ask, jumping up off of his lap and onto the edge of his bed.

taking my shoes and jacket off, making my self comfortable.

"good, i guess. the first thing i want to say is sorry." he looks down, playing with the hem of his shirt as he sits quietly, waiting for me to talk.

"sorry for what?" i giggle, grabbing his hand in a comforting way.

"for trying to push you away." he furrows his eyebrows, looking at me and into my eyes.

"oh yeah, that's ok. can i ask why gray?" i say, and the room goes quiet.

"um, i think i'm different y/n. and i'm scared to tell anyone, just in case they won't accept
m-e." his voice cracks a little, making my heart clench.

my mom was right.

"grayson, you know i will always accept you. you're my best friend. i'll love you no matter what. you should know that." i rub my thumb across his hand.

he takes a deep breath, and i can tell he's nervous.

"gray?" i whisper, catching his attention.

"are you gay?" i smile a little, looking at how his eyes water.

he just nods his head yes, and i feel a wave of happiness consume my body.

"i'm sorry." he barely speaks under a whisper.

i gasp, opening my arms out and grabbing the back of his neck, pulling him in for a hug.

"why are you sorry baby?" i lean in, hugging him and laying his head on my chest.

"i don't know?" he almost says as a question, laughing along with me.

"grayson you know you can't help that. have you told anyone else?" i ask, running my fingers through his brown locks.

"no. i was scared." he hugs my waist.

"there is no need to be scared gray. just tell them when you're ready. it's not like you can help your sexuality anyway. i promise that everyone will love you the same way as they did before you come out to them. don't rush into it though if you're not ready. take your time." i speak. 

"love is love."

— i hope you guys understand that you should be proud of who you are.