Chapter 6: In A World Like This

Start from the beginning

I spotted a young woman not too far, fingers tapping away at her cell phone, her front yard needed to rake. I was about to walk up to her, but she glanced at me and a look of disgust immediately covered her face, she stood, and she walked inside.

I sigh, turning in the opposite direction. Hands stuffed in my pocket, I let my eyes wander around the boujee neighborhood. Big houses, with the white picket fences, hell, even the birds were chirping. There were the neighbors waving at each other, the dogs barking from their most likely over priced dog houses and of course, how can we forget the children. Running along their grass is greener than yours yards, with pools and lemonade. Their mom sat with their friends, giggling and gossiping.

You see in this world there's always a comparison, you have rich, then you have poor, Ghetto, suburban, Entrepreneurs, drug dealers, and I'm guessing anytime someone thinks of the negative label, a black face pops up in their head. Its stereotypical, but its the truth, and that is why today things are so hard for us, we can't get jobs, we can't buy food, we can't afford these big houses, our dogs are kept on chains tied to a cylinder block, its unjust, and white people have no idea how lucky they are.

There are a few people who make it, us negroes, but even then we're struggling because society is forever against us.

There was a single modern house at the end of the street, it wasn't as lavish as the other houses, but it was neat and trim. An old man, sat outside, his face was grim and stern. He was as pale as a ghost, with thin fingers that were clasp together tightly on his lap. He stared straight ahead.

I was getting a little anxious, since time was going and I haven't gotten a job which meant no money. I had to come up with something, even if I don't eat, Gelan gotta eat.

"Good morning sir," his eyes land on me, and his facial expression never changed. "Is there anything you'd like me to do for you today? Mow the lawns? Clean the pool?"

"No." He says harshly. His voice was rough and hard, his eyes narrowed at me.

I sigh, running a hand over Mt face.

"Please sir. Anything, I'd —,"

"I said no. Now move along."

"I have a daughter I—"

"What is your name boy?" He asks, leaning forward.

"Immani."

"You seem to know English very well Immani," I gave him a confused look, so he continued, "So you should be able to comprehend what 'No'  and 'move along' means."

I couldn't help as my shoulders dropped. "Good day to you, sir," I turn to leave, beginning to wonder if I'd actually make anything today.

× × ×

At six I was waiting at the same place I told Breane to drop off Gelan. Her vehicle slowly stopped in front of me, and Gel an pulled open her door, rushing out and throwing herself at my leg.

"Hey Gee," I lift her, and she sighs, a little smile on her face as she flicks my nose. Nothing to say.

"Thanks Breane." I nod and she smiles also.

"You know its never a problem Mani, I gave Gee some extra dinner do you and her, same time tomorrow."

"Same time." She waved at Gee before driving away.

"I missed you." I admit to gee and she giggles.

"I missed you too."

"Did you have a good day?" She nods, placing her head on my shoulder and I begin the walk back to our place.

I thankfully got someone with something they needed done, a simple door that needed the hinges replaced. They paid fifty dollars which I used to buy some cheap bulbs at the dollar store. Miraculously enough, home already had sockets and was wired, it was just to get them connected to the pole. I knew it was also stealing, but I had to do it, I can't have Gelan waking up in the middle of the night, that's gonna cause nightmares.

I bought some little snacks for her, but I was thankful that Breane gave her something to eat for when she gets here because i didn't have anything to prepare nor store food.

It'll work out in due time, I remind myself.

I lit a candle, and waited for her to fall asleep, leaving the windows slightly cracked for the cool breeze to come in.

I had to try to do this as quick as possible, I didn't want her to wake up and I wasn't there.

× × ×

About an hour of struggling, my palms were sweating as I screwed the bulb in for the millionth time, to my relief it tiny glowed, emitting light into the entire room.

I breathed a sigh of relief, sitting on the mattress next to Gelan who was still sound asleep. She looked so innocent, as I brushed the curls out of her face.

I wondered what would've happened if her mom had stayed?

Would we be in the same situation?

Would we struggle but struggle together?

It would've been a lot easier if she had, Gelan needs that type of affection, and I try my best to be as emotional as possible with her, because she needs it.

Maybe it would've been easier, but I wouldn't change the fact that it's just me and her against the world.

My little pride.

The only thing I stay fighting for.