Chapter Thirteen

Comincia dall'inizio

Alarmed, Rosalind lifted her gaze. "Lady Ormund told you that?"

"She seemed to think you had fled London to escape the rumors and to keep your husband from discovering your terrible sin. She couldn't decide whether I should save you from yourself or if I ought to give you up."

Somehow, dire though they were, their aunt's dramatic words were amusing. Rosalind bit back a smile as she shook her head. "Really? Because the news I heard was that I was dragged away from London to put an end to the affair and to give birth away from the public's knowledge."

Emily did not appear to find the same humor as Rosalind did. "Is there some truth to the matter?" the young woman asked with a seriousness that was unusual.

"The only truth is that Mr. John Rowley tried to flirt with me, as I have already told you," Rosalind said bluntly. "I indicated I had no interest, which only seemed to make me all the more fascinating to him. He was everywhere I turned, and Evan was understandably annoyed by the man's behavior. We received your invitation, and now here we are."

"You make it sound as though there was nothing you could have done to avoid this," Emily said, tapping her foot.

"Believe me, if there had been some way to avoid Mr. Rowley, I would have done it. He was alarmingly persistent despite everything I said."

"Was Evan merely annoyed or did he think there reason to be jealous?"

Frustrated, Rosalind narrowed her eyes at her cousin. "Do you honestly think I would flirt with a man who is not my husband?"

After a moment, Emily fidgeted. "How am I to know what your husband might think? I had to ask."

"Did you?"

"You know I must be certain of all the facts!" Emily said defensively. "Who knows what stories my guests may have heard before they traveled here."

"What does that matter?" Rosalind asked, staring at the younger woman. "You said yourself I am as I have always been. Shouldn't you have known without asking that I find these rumors distressing? Of anyone, you should have known there couldn't be any truth to the matter!"

"Of course I knew you would be upset by this, but I do not know your husband as well as I know you," Emily said, her tone sharp. "How am I to know whether or not he is the jealous type? It may be his behavior is what has sparked these whispers?"

Rosalind threaded her needle into the fabric and set the project aside. "He is not. His behavior has nothing to do with this."

"Well, then. I will take your word for it. What do you plan to do about the rumors?"

"That is between my husband and myself, Emily," Rosalind said with as much dignity as she could muster. What a mess it had all become!

Her cousin rolled her eyes. "Which means you have nothing planned and hope that it will all just go away." She pushed herself out of her chair and walked over to the window. "Then, perhaps it is a good thing I have already written back to our aunt and given her a piece of my mind."

"You didn't."

"Of course I did," Emily said, pressing the palm of her hand against the glass. "She is our one family member in London, and we ought to be able to rely on her not to add to terrible rumors."

"How do you know she has not defended my reputation?"

Glancing over her shoulder, Emily tutted. "Because I know our aunt all too well, and though you may have married well, I know you are Lady Ormund's least favorite niece." She turned back to the window. "Oh, look. We have a new arrival."