"What is it?" Rosalind asked, feeling worry twist her stomach even more. She watched him break the seal and unfold the paper. "Evan, who is it from?"

"I will dress now, Quinn," Evan said to the man without lifting his gaze from the paper. As the valet moved to the wardrobe, Evan faced his wife. "My brother has written to me from London. I'd forgotten he would be in town."

Rosalind clenched her trembling fingers in her lap to hide them. "Then, they know all about the rumors."

"He does."

"What does your brother have to say about it?" Rosalind asked, glancing at the valet.

"It doesn't matter," Evan said, crumbling the letter in his hand. He tossed the paper into the fireplace where the hot coals flared up in flames at the fuel source. "It's time my brother learned I will not be summoned to him like a child, whether he is the head of the family or not. We have committed to Will and Emily's party, and we will remain until the end."

"Are you sure you shouldn't go?" Rosalind asked tentatively. "If your brother is uneasy—"

"If I did so, it would only add fuel to the gossips," Evan said with steely firmness. "No. If it is so important to William to discuss the matter, he knows where to find me. Obviously. He would be here himself if he were truly upset about it."

The thought of facing Evan's stern brother made Rosalind's stomach twist even more. She swallowed hard and wished her husband would dress and leave the room quickly. "Well, then," she managed to say calmly. "It appears all we can do is wait and see what happens next."

****

Unlike previous mornings, Emily was cheerful when Rosalind joined her in the sitting room. "I'm so excited," the young woman said, her tone pleased and satisfied. "Just think. This is my first time truly hosting friends in my home. I feel like a proper wife now."

"Excited?" Rosalind repeated as she sank into a chair. "I would think you would be nervous."

"Why would I be nervous? Everyone who will be here is a friend. I have done all I could do to prepare." Emily leaned back in her chair with a smile. "I am not like you, Rosalind, needing a list to consult every two minutes."

"I do not consult a list every two minutes," Rosalind protested even as she smiled at her cousin's teasing. "Do you see a list in my hand now?"

"You would if you could."

"In any event, I am glad you feel prepared." Rosalind picked up her embroidery and set about making sure her thread was not tangled. "The first party as mistress of your own home is a momentous occasion."

"As you'll discover when you entertain for the first time," Emily said smugly. There was a pause. "Did you not sleep well last night, Rosalind? You seem pale."

Keeping her eyes on her work, Rosalind forced a smile. "I am well enough. I did not sleep well and have a headache, that is all."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Emily frown. "Are you sure it has nothing to do with whatever it was that had you so worried yesterday?" her cousin asked. "You see, I did not forget, though perhaps you'd hoped I'd done so. I do wish you would tell me what has been weighing on your mind, Rosalind."

"There is nothing to tell you, Emily," Rosalind said softly.

"Is it that there is nothing to tell or that you won't tell me?"

"Emily, please." Rosalind noticed the tension in her thread and put her needle down before she damaged her embroidery.

"Because I have had a rather alarming letter from our Aunt, Lady Ormund," Emily said, ignoring Rosalind's plea. "She seems to be under the impression that you have flirted with a bachelor shamelessly and that all of London is talking about the scandal now."