Chapter 22

I knocked on the door to Sarah's cave, primed and ready for the assault. I heard two sets of footsteps, one light and fast, the other heavier, but quick as well.

The boulder in the doorway was rolled to the side, a green dragon with blue eyes coming into view, a steel grey fledgling hanging onto her horns.

Sarah's eyes lit up when she saw me, her face breaking into a toothy grin and her blue eyes showing relief. Jordan's eyes lit up as well and an excited hoot echoed down the hall. I swept the basket away, prepped and ready for the incoming missile.

"Auntie!" A high pitched voice squeaked out, a small artillery shell barreling into my chest as Jordan launched herself at me. She wiggled a bit, her tail lashing from side to side in her excitement.

Sarah smiled, her face covered in thinly veiled relief. "Thank you so much for coming. For a while I thought I would have to stay here forever. We've been trying to get out for a while, but  she can't stay here by herself and she doesn't like anyone but you.."

"It's perfectly fine, I love babysitting this little angel anyway." I returned the smile, the fledgling hanging off of my neck like a koala on a tree. "We haven't talked in a while, so when you said you needed some help, it was perfect."

She stepped away from the doorway, letting me into her cave. Her home was different from mine, but had a similar feel. Hers only had one floor, but was more open. Mine had more walls and doorways, while hers was more like a studio apartment.

There was a central sitting area, a work area in the corner along with a place for finished statue and a place for Jordan to practice. There was one hallway off to the side, the bedrooms and storerooms branching off. I had been in her home before, before she met Gabrielle, and had actually helped with furnishing it.

The pelts on the floor were from a different animal than the one in mine, but the furniture was made by both of us and had a similar design. They were a bit lower to the ground than mine, so that Jordan could access them easily, and the corners weren't as sharp. Although our scales were tough when we grew up, as a hatchling, they were very weak. I was an abnormally, coming out as big and grown as I was.

Gabrielle was lying on the couch, a small bundle of food on her back. She and Sarah were going out for a picnic/hunting trip, and had called me in so Jordan wouldn't be left all alone.

[Yes, both Gabrielle and Sarah are female. Yes, Jordan was born from the both of them doing the mattress mambo. As for how they made the kid, ~*Magic*~]

She got up, a silent smile and nod before she walked to her mate, her wing covering her back and their tails twining together. Gabrielle was one who rarely ever talked, if at all. Sarah and Jordan were the only ones who could get her talking on a regular basis. I still couldn't get how the silent giant ended up with Sarah, but that was none of my business.

Sarah turned to me, her voice turning to 'reluctant mom' mode.

"Jordan is not allowed to play with any of the sharp tools, but the rest are fine. She prefers sapphires and rubies over emeralds or diamonds, and if she gets hungry, give her that with some slate. Make sure she eats all of  the slate, and don't give her any of the good stuff until she finishes it. The bowls are in a cabinet under the desk next to the couch, and there is a stream at the end of the hallway to wash it off in."

"If you all want to go for a fly for a while, that is fine, but make sure you don't go any  higher than the second peak. The winds up there are pretty powerful and her wings aren't strong enough yet to go any farther." Sarah thought for a moment, finally turning to her mate. "I think that's everything. Can you think of anything we need to tell her about?"

Gabrielle shook her head, "No"

Sarah turned back to me, "We'll be back in about three hours, and if there are any problems don't be shy with notifying us. We'll either be near the lake or on the other mountain peak."

I nodded, noting down everything in my mind. Jordan, who had been hanging on my neck the entire time, jumped off and to her mothers, first giving Gabrielle a hug, and then Sarah.

"I love you, mom....I love you mom."

Their faces melted at the same time, both revealing a soft expression, filled with love for their child.

A few more minutes of goodbyes and I was left in an empty cave, a steel gray fledgling in front of me.