I pushed any thought of Carter Wright to the back of my mind, and focused on Jules, instead as her wild eyes searched the mostly deserted neighborhood. It was dark by five o'clock these days, the sky a black void and empty of stars, but the brightness of the city lit up the streets as if it were day time. People milled around us the closer we came into the city, and I wrapped my coat tighter around me as a cold wind bit my skin.

Although, Jules hardly seemed to notice. Her fingers absentmindedly fiddled with the hem of her jacket, a seemingly nervous habit that had me glancing around with my own uneasiness.

I didn't know what she was looking for, and when she met my concerned stare, Jules said,

"You never know what can happen out here, y'know?"

Absentmindedly, I nodded my head and followed after her as we crossed the busy street. I hugged my coat tighter and glanced around me idly.

Times Square was bustling with people per usual. The bright lights, the traffic, it all seemed to take my mind away from the day's events and Jules' quiet behavior.

We took to a taxi, the ride silent and the air so thick between us that you could cut it with a knife.

The usual cheery Jules was now no where to be found as we situated ourselves in a booth, a Japanese restaurant called 'Ootoya.' Once telling me how excited she was to try this place, now Jules was deathly silent.

"Are you okay?" I asked slowly.

She didn't seem to hear me at first, and I watched as her thumbs fumbled over one another. I could see them shaking slightly.

Jules looked up at me just as a waiter came over to take our orders. She was quick to cover her sober expression with a smile.

The moment he was gone, Jules jumped from her seat.

"Jules?" I called out her name, and she looked back at me with a small tight-lipped smile.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Jules replied. "I'll be back."

I wanted to say more, but she slipped from view before I could get any words out. Now, I was left alone to wonder as I awaited her return.

Our food came quickly, but when five minutes turned into ten with no sign of Jules, I stood from my seat and made my way towards the bathroom.

Pressing my ear to the door, I didn't hear anything at first, as if she might've left. But as I went to pull away, I caught the sound of shuffling, followed by faint sniffles.

"Jules?" I called, pushing on the locked handle. "Are you in there?"

What felt like an eternity of silence passed between us. A pang of impatience settled in my stomach, but I immediately pushed it aside, calling Jules's name for a second time.

The sound of a lock, and Jules opened up the door a crack. Just a tiny sliver and I could see her makeup-strewn face, her eyes glassy with unshed tears.

Pushing the door open gently, Jules let me inside. I took in her tear-streaked face, eyes swollen from crying and her voice trembly.

"I didn't want y-you to see me-e like this." Jules stuttered.

Embarrassment clouded her features, and Jules looked away from me. She swiped at her eyes, stepping away from me when I took one toward her.

"I thought—I thought going out would make me forget, o-or maybe make it go away, but..." Jules shook her head, tears trailing her cheeks as she turned toward the counter.

Shock clouded my features as Jules picked up what looked to be a pregnancy test.

"Is it...?" I trailed off, my gaze finding Jules's, to which she nodded quickly and held out her arm.