5. Too many thoughts, and secret spots

"Yeah Bill, is this true?" Stan demands.
Bill's face goes pale, and he looks like he is about to pass out.
"I used t-t to like B-B Beverly, but after G-G Georgie went missing, you s-s stuck by m-m me and made me feel b-b better. Then I started c-c catching feelings for y-y you. I love you S-S Sky.
Something felt wrong, but I ignored it.
I smile into his shoulder, as I tightly hug him.
"Bullshit! He's just playing you, he just wants someone to love him, because his parents don't.
Did he just? He actually said that. Hell no.
"What the hell Stanly? You can't talk to my boyfriend like that!" I snap at him.
I look over to Bill and he is full on sobbing.
I squeeze him tight and comfort him while he sobs into my shoulder.
If looks could kill, the one I was giving Stan would slaughter him.
I turn my attention back to Bill.
"Come on Bill, let's get away from him." I whisper into his ear.
He nods and we start walking, we don't know where, but we keep moving.
We end up at the quarry, our feet dangling over the edge of the cliff, as we watch the sunset.
I glance over to Bill, he is looking down at the shining water below us.
"Stan was being an ass, he didn't mean what he said."
"I know." He says.
We sit in silence, the sky turning a dark blue.
"We should probably go, it's really late." I start to stand up and he does the same.
"Yeah, i'll see y-y you tomorrow I g-g guess." He says as he mounts his bike.
"See ya." I quietly say as he bikes away.
When I go back to my house I quickly run to my room and lock my door.
God knows how many beers my dad has had.
I just can't get that conversation out of my head.
My mind just won't stop running, my thoughts won't stop flowing.
It just won't stop.
Before my mind even processes what is happening I am climbing out of my window and riding my bike.
I ride to the one place in town where I don't have to think.
In grade four I stumbled across a secret cove when I was taking a walk through the woods.
I remember the day like it was yesterday.
Bill and I had a fight about him saying that he liked Richie better then me. I got really mad and ran into the woods and found a clearing with millions of flowers in it. It truly is a beautiful place, I like to lay down in the flowers to hide away from my thoughts and problems, when I need a break.
There is a patch of rocks where I hide a pack of cigarettes that I stole from my dad.
If he doesn't die of alcohol, he will die of lung cancer, he smokes and drinks so much.
He always smokes and drinks to get away from his problems, so I decided to try it. Obviously I cant drink because I am underaged but I can get away with smoking.
I reach the start of the trees and leave my bike aside, and I start the walk to my secret spot.
I reach the clearing and beeline to my rock patch where my cigs and lighter are.
I take out my Marlboro's and take one out of the pack and light it.
I take a deep drag and look at the brightly lighten moon and stars.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time, I always think to myself, especially in this moment.
Everyone needs an escape sometimes, I just do more then others.
I finish my cigarette and throw it to the side, putting it out with my old converse that was in my closet.
I lay back down in the flowers and pull my sweater closer to me to try to warm myself up.
I eventually doze off into a decently peaceful sleep, letting my tiredness take away my thoughts and worries.

...

I wake up and check my watch.
8:30 am.
I sit up and a searing pain goes through my back. I guess that's what i get for sleeping on the ground, but part of me doesn't mind.
I bury my lighter and cigs back into my rock patch and start to walk back to my bike.
I take one last look at my cove, the early sun glints off the flowers, and the whole place is practically glowing.
I can tell I will be back here soon.
I find my bike in the same place I left it in and I ride it back to my house. I climb back into the window.
I get a peaceful day knowing that my father won't be home. It's Monday and he goes to work at 7:30 am, he never even wakes me up or bothers to say goodbye, but I don't care. I don't even know how he still has his job, because practically every morning he is hung over, but no one notices because they either pity us, or think we are perfect.
They pity us because I lost my mom a year after we moved to Derry, but before my mom died she made friends with the whole town, no one hated her.
They think we are perfect because that is how I am pushed to present myself.
I am pretty, nice, and very smart, my dad is decent looking, nice to everyone but me, and surprisingly really smart.
Everyone just automatically assumes that we are perfect, and that we are strong, for dealing with my mom's death. In reality there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about her.
I am thrown off by my thoughts by my stomach grumbling. The last time I have eaten was at the carnival, where I shared cotton candy with Bill.
Bill.
He is probably broken. I should probably go see how he is doing. I'll do that after I eat.
I scan my pantry for food and my eyes land on a can of soup.
Good enough.
I put the soup in a bowl and warm it up in the microwave, while I wait I flick on the tv, and switch the channel to the news.
I take my soup out of the microwave and sit down on the couch.
I eat my soup and watch the reporter talk about yet another missing kid.
"As of yesterday, Edward Corcoran was proclaimed missing, his parents said they haven't seen him in two days."
Darn, not another one. First Georgie, then Betty, now Edward.
I put my bowl in the sink and run over to Bill's. I knock on the door, I hear rustling in the house and the door gets opened by Billy.
"Hi S-S Sky." He says sounding
miserable.
"Happy Fourth of July!"

Authors Note:
Sort of a filler, but I kinda love how it turned out.