"We've been doing that for awhile.  She seemed pretty tired of it."

"So perhaps she wants to rest." Dr. Dewey pushed up his glasses to rub his tired eyes. "Where would she go?"

They all thought in silence.

"Didn't Alex volunteer at a battered women's shelter?" Dr. Dewey took out his phone and opened the internet browser. "Peaceful and no men to bother her."

"Take us there," Gabe ordered.

Dr. Dewey's expression grew troubled. "I don't know where it is.  The location is kept a secret to all but the women themselves to avoid trouble."

"How do the women find out?"

"They call when they want to come and then they're told."

"Dr. Dewey, how good of an actress is your wife?" Gabe asked.

****

Alex landed in the bushes of the battered women's shelter, and then strode across large, grassy front yard. A middle-aged woman in jeans and a crisp oxford shirt rushed out to meet her.

"Hello, dear. Is there trouble on the way?" the lady asked. "It's awfully late at night for you to volunteer."

Alex recognized her as Miss Helen Crenshaw, the director, from her previous visits. "I didn't come by for that.  This time, it's personal."

Helen's face wrinkled in concern, her deep-set, kind brown eyes troubled.

She's worried about me. That's sweet.

"Why, of course.  You're welcome to stay as long as you wish. Do you want to talk about it?"  Helen put her arm around Alex's shoulders, squeezed her in a gentle side hug, and then led her to the house.

"No talking. I'd like to rest, though."

***

Not much later, Alex sat on the edge of the bed in a borrowed flannel nightgown and sipped hot tea. She tried to not listen while Helen gave directions over the phone to what she presumed was a new arrival.

"We missed you," Helen said in a non-accusatory way.

"Been in the hospital.  Ran into someone bigger and better than me.  That's kinda why I'm here."

"You got out of the hospital? You poor dear."  Miss Crenshaw was middle-aged, but she sounded like a favorite granny. She sat on the bed next to Alex and clasped one of her hands in both of hers. 

Alex shook her head.  "I've been out for a while, but I just...I mean, I just couldn't handle it tonight. Does that make sense?"

Helen put her arm around her and squeezed her in the gentlest of hugs."Perfect sense.  You can repress your feelings for a while, but they sneak up on you.  Does that sound right?"

Alex nodded.

"You can tell me if you wish," Helen said. At Alex's headshake, Helen continued, "Now get some sleep.  There's someone new coming tonight and there's no telling what I'll need to do for her."

"I'll stay up and help."

"No dear, take care of yourself, at least for one night." Helen added at Alex's reluctant look, "Even the strongest of women needs a night off. I promise to call you if I need you."

She briefly squeezed Alex again in a sideways hug again and left.

***

"They won't give out the names of the residents over the phone," Mary told her husband and the brothers. "But I have the address."