Chapter 68 - Hidden Heroes

Start bij het begin

She still might anyways, but it was probably for the best to put it off as long as possible.

She crawled along in this manner for what felt like a century, but was probably more like fifteen minutes, before she saw a tiny hint of light in the distance. Hoping that it was a way out, she picked up her speed - although still careful to keep sweeping the area in front of her before moving forward.

She almost cried when she reached the light, so happy to see something break up the pitch black she had been trapped in for so long. It was another grille that she could easily remove now that she knew how.

She almost cried again when she realized that the room was filled with Atrellians, and that there was no way she wouldn't be noticed if she tried to get out this way. Most of them were wearing lab coats, and the rest were dressed like the soldiers, guarding the doors.

"Bethar! What are the results for the human?" one of the scientists, looking into what looked like a microscope, called to the others.

"All test results suggest extreme adaptability," Bethar responded after a minute, looking at a sheet of paper. "The human was converted easily, and this suggests that the merge will be just as successful. Given what Maken has learned from the memories of the Time Lord, it appears that humans are quite susceptible to drugs and other outside influences." 

He shifted the page and looked at another one beneath it. "If we place the female human under the Alprazolam, she will likely be drained in a matter of days. According to the tests, this will grant us roughly ninety years, although Mekar claims that the memories of the human suggest that this lifespan varies from human to human."

"Meaning what? That we cannot be guaranteed ninety years?" the other scientist narrowed his eyes, frowning at the other. "We do not often see humans here, Bethar. We must be certain of our results."

Bethar sighed. "I have told you before, Athelin. Human lifespan varies from human to human, and even from male to female. Data suggests that the females typically, though not always, have longer lifespans. I recommend we convert the human male as well, merge him, and compare the results."

Lyssa, watching silently from behind the grille, sucked in a breath as she realized that they were talking about Rory. That meant he was still alive, at least, if they were planning on converting him, but for how long? The one scientist had said the female - likely Amy - would be drained, and that would end up giving them ninety years? But what did that mean? Her lips moved silently as she tried to process all the new information.

At last she shook her head. She obviously wouldn't be escaping through this vent any time soon, and the scientists had turned back to their work, meaning she probably wouldn't be hearing any new information either. Her mind still turning over the facts, she turned away from the grille and continued on further into the vent, quickly getting swallowed up by the darkness once more.

There had been a lot of emphasis on lifespan. From the Atrellians' normal lifespan being extended far beyond what was normal, to the test tubes with the lifespans of all the different species, to Bethar claiming that they could get ninety years from Amy. And she'd already worked out that they were trying to use Amy and the Doctor's lifespan to further their own. Except she'd assumed it was through reproduction somehow.

But... maybe they were straight up stealing it? Literally taking the years from their victims and giving it to their own people somehow? But then why did they have to turn them to children to do it? And what was the Alprazolam that they had mentioned? How would it drain them?

Her hand slipped and she almost face-planted against the bottom of the tunnel before she managed to catch herself. Her heart racing from the sudden surge of adrenaline, she shook her head to clear her thoughts. She was getting distracted in a situation where a single wrong move could lead to her being found out.