Chapter 24 - A Strange Dream

Start from the beginning

Teng Yun got up and leaned against the head of the bed. Using two hands, he took the cup and held it to his lips as he drank. He spilled some of the water, wetting the blanket; but his throat no longer felt so raw.

"What happened outside?"

Xiu Yao said, "Nothing. Teng-fei has come, insisting she wants to visit you. I have tried to refuse her, but it didn't seem to work. Right now, Head Servant Jiang Yu is dealing with her."

[T/N : Fei (妃) means consort. Teng-fei means Imperial Consort Teng, but that would be a mouthful.]

Teng Yun rested his head against the head of the bed. He was not in the mood to see Teng Qianyi. Sure, they might be blood relatives, but they were never in a friendly relationship. Moreover, though Teng Yun never said anything, he never approved of Teng Qianyi and Teng Wang's taboo relationship.

The noises outside had calmed down for some time and Teng Yun thought Teng Qianyi had left. But then it became noisy again, seemed like Jiang Yu was having a hard time.

Jiang Yu returned inside the gate and stopped just outside the main room's door. He said, "Teng-fei asks for an audience."

Teng Yun had guessed Jiang Yu couldn't be able to stop Teng Qianyi because he already knew how her temper was like. In Teng Country, Teng Qianyi was celebrated as the number one maiden; she had both talent and exceptionally good looks. Naturally, people always flattered her. Added that she had close relationship with Teng Wang, it was inevitable her temperament grew bold and arrogant.

Teng Qianyi didn't realize her own situation. When she was sent by Teng Wang to marry, she was no different than Teng Shang in Teng Wang's eyes; she was a discarded person. But Teng Shang was a clever and wise so he was aware of his situation, but Teng Qianyi was not.

Teng Yun knew if he didn't let Teng Qianyi in, there was no stopping her.

So Teng Yun reluctantly nodded to Xiu Yao, who then opened the door and went out. Her chin was slightly raised as she said in slightly haughty manner, "Her Majesty will see you."

This was Teng Qianyi's first time coming inside Yunfeng Palace. Xue was a prosperous country; even being burdened by war these few years, Xue was still superior than any other countries. Her Majesty the Empress' palace should not look shabby or inferior than other consorts' palaces.

Teng Qianyi looked around at the furnishing and decoration inside the residence. Compared to this, her own residence looked downright cheap and unpresentable. Bitterness welling in her heart; she was like a stranger being so far away from home and had to humbly lodge under someone else's roof.

But Teng Qianyi did have some knowledge, and therefore her purpose of coming here; that was to seek protection under the Empress.

Xue Wang was injured while protecting the Empress; it was clear this Empress' status was extraordinary. Teng Qianyi came to Xue alone, had no relatives to back and support her up. Then her maidservant, Jiao Shui, suggested the idea that there was no other backing better than the Empress.

Jiao Shui was clever. She said that, even if Teng Qianyi wanted to compete with other consorts and wives for Xue Wang's favors, she would never win against the Phoenix Seal, which was held in the Empress' hands. Teng Qianyi might not be able to be the most favored wive, but she could help the Empress to be one. This was the art of looking after one's own hide.

Teng Qianyi insisted on visiting Yunfeng Palace to seek protection, otherwise her heart would not settle. People should not blame her.

---