Kambiri and the Jar of Diabetes

Theme: Fear
So, the Quartz sub unit of the Fresh Writers Community had an activity-Prompt writing-and the theme was fear. Here's my own write up on fear. Quite absurd, I know.

Kambiri and the Jar of Diabetes

"Don't touch them. Don't look for them. Don't eat them even if you see where I keep them. Or you will have diabetes." Mother said to Kambiri, her hand in the air, chin held her and face stern. She studied her daughter's face, a smirk appearing on her lips, followed by what was seemingly a satisfied grin, probably satisfaction from the perplexed look growing on Kam's little face. She cackled.

"Diabetes?" Kambiri quavered. Her little eyes were widened as she gawked at the jar, neatly secured in her mother's hands, its reflection glistening in her eyes like stars on the calm night waters of the sea. A scowl was glued to her face and she wondered. "What's diabetes?"

Mother shook her head and laughed, a subtle evil grin settling on the breadth of her fleshy cheek. "Diabetes is a sickness. If you have diabetes, your head will grow big, your eyes will become red and your leg will bend, you won't be able to walk well. You'll have to use wheelchair-" Kambiri gasped and gagged her mouth with her palm. "-if you take it without my permission.

"So now, will you?" Kambiri shook her head in dismay. She imagined the image her mother had portrayed. Diabetes. Big head. Red eyes. Bent leg. Monster. She shook her head the more. Her mother smiled in satisfaction, placing the cylindrical jar, containing several varieties of chocolate on the dining table, where Kam could see it-tiny, cube-like chocolates wrapped in foils of different colours. She knew the threat was just sufficient enough to keep her little hands off it. Her six-year old brain could never decipher the fable in her words.

Uncle Ekwy had bought a jar of chocolate for Kam and her brother upon his arrival from Denmark-but Kam's mother couldn't let her have it all in one day.

She knew her daughter, who was ever willing to smoke it out from any corner of the house it was hidden. So, she posed a threat. She employed the tactic of manipulation of the infant mind.

Kambiri would whisper her mother's words to her brother also, and her brother would to another, and another to another.
But, who will tell these children that these lies are just words to instill fear? Or will they grow out of them as snakes shed their skin and grow into new skins of knowledge?

Author: Yours Truly,
Cynthia Nnadi(Me)