prologue

everyone knows my story; how I was young and naive. how I let the big bad wolf almost take my life away, how the woodsman had to save my life. after time, I let bigby explain himself and apologize, but that didn't mean I had to trust him.

I worked for the baker, delivering treats all over fabletown. though his brother, the butcher, fell to the crooked man, he's been helping the baker after the imprisonment of said crooked man at the farm. the third brother, the candle maker, is also helping. they weren't to happy that their brother fell but they're picking up the pieces.

as for the rest of the town, everyone is buzzing around mayor coles' new law; the marriage law. it simply states that fables should marry and mate, to increase the fable population in a mundane world. I'm not worried though. the woodsmen is planing on marrying someone else, and I don't speak to the wolf. though rumor has it, he's with the princess snow white up in the business office.

of course he would be though. snow white's practically the only fable to trust him, she was the only person the big bad wolf saved in the homelands. she brought him to the new world to be our sheriff, to protect the fables. no body trusts him completely, and I'm sure he understands why.

while I was lost in my thoughts, I almost didn't hear the baker calling my name. "red!"

I snapped my head towards the man, hood falling off my head. my long ginger hair was in a single braid resting just below my rib cage. "yes, baker?"

he gave me smile and shook his head. "I have two deliveries for you to bring to the woodlands. one is for beauty and beast, the other for bluebeard."

I frowned a little when he mentioned the pirate. " the last time I brought bread to the pirate, he was trying to court me and it was creepy."

the baker sighed, "I know, but maybe do his first so you have an excuse to leave- another delivery. then come right back for another delivery."

"but we close at 8 on fridays?" I said looking at the clock that read quarter past 6.

"he doesn't need to know that. besides, you still need to clock out on time."

I smiled, "yes, sir."