A Shift

Venn stopped in his tracks. Silence filled the night. Dark and unnatural silence. Something had changed. The dirt crunched under his feet as he turned a slow circle.

Something major had just occurred back at the Kingdom. Either that, or the shockwave of the major event had only just reached him. He felt the shift deep in his chest. It felt a bit like the day he'd lost Reed, but less agonizing.

As quickly as the unsettling quiet had begun, it was over. Insects buzzed, some kind of bird squawked, and something padded through a bush a short distance off.

Venn shivered and continued on his way. He felt uneasy now, like someone watched him. He quickened his pace slightly. The faint smell of human life reached his nose.

He put a hand on his sword. He may not be the best fighter, but he could protect himself well enough.

He needed to get to the Knight. He couldn't be far now. Perhaps a day. He didn't know where he would find her, but he'd find her.

As this thought passed through his head, Venn crested a slight hill and stopped. He looked down at a patch of tents large enough to house a small army armored figures moved to and fro.

He took half a step back, then shook himself. This was where he wanted to be. Surely the Knight would be here somewhere. But he couldn't just stroll right in.

Venn slipped off the main road and changed into a bat. He fluttered up and banked toward the camp. Perhaps the Knight would have an idea as to what had occurred.