we all scream

You hummed to yourself as you strolled down the sidewalk, often hopping out of the way of strangers as you bopped your head up and down to the beat of the music you were listening to.

Finally reaching your destination, you glanced around, eyes scanning your surroundings in search of someone.

As you noticed them, your expression brightened.

Pulling out your headphones with one hand, you raised the other and frantically waved at your friend.

"KODA!" You bellowed, as the startled boy quickly swivelled around in your direction.

He sent a small wave back at you as your ran over to him, ignoring the dirty looks that passersby gave you.

"You ready to finally get that ice cream I promised you?" You were bouncing on the balls of your feet as you gazed up at the store before you.

"I heard it's gotten seven new flavours in the past three days!" You practically drooled, stomach letting out a loud rumble as you imagined eating any of those flavours.

Koda nodded, looking excited himself at the prospect of all the new flavours.

As the two of you walked into the shop, you practically died right then and there.

Posters proudly showed off new and exciting flavours, claiming the tastes were like nothing from ever before. Your eyes darted around the shop, taking in as many flavours as you could.

"I've died." You whispered, clutching one hand to your chest as tears glimmered in your eyes, "I've died and gone to heaven."

Koda nodded again, eyes as wide as yours and seemingly sparkling at the display before the two of you.

As you stared onward for a minute more, a horrifying realisation came over you.

A gasp escaped your mouth and your expression darkened.

"Koda..." The boy turned to you, a look of confusion on his face while he twisted his hands nervously.

"We can't get all the flavours right now!" You mourned, pressing your fist to your mouth as to hold back your tears.

Koda's expression fell, and he looked sadly at the ice cream display.

"So-" You continued, determined look on your face, "-we'll come back here until we try every flavour!"

You pumped your fist up into the air and let out a cheer.

"Plus Ultra!-"

"Are you gonna order or not?"

"-ah, right! Sorry!"

-

You happily licked your ice cream as you and Koda strolled down the main street.

You had gone for a cookie dough flavour, and you were currently nibbling on a piece of said dough.

Koda, who had gone for a basic strawberry, let out his own noise of satisfaction as he ate his ice cream.

"Ah, this is the life!" You stated with a smile, finishing up the last few pieces of your cone. When finished, you wiped your mouth with the napkin you had been given in the shop.

You frowned, despairing the fact that you had finished your frozen sweet treat. You crumpled the napkin in your hand and surveyed the area around you.

Not spotting a bin, you huffed. Taking a few steps back, you spoke to Koda.

"I'm pretty sure I saw a bin back there." You tilted your head in the direction you were talking about, "Wait here! I'll be right back!"

You took off down the street, narrowly avoiding strangers who grumbled and swore at you as you passed.