September 20th, 1931

Hello Dearest Mother,

I am sorry to say this, but I wish I could write this on better terms. I know what you'd say, the way you'll reprimand me, but also how I broke my promise and ashamed our honest family. But please understand the situation I have been thrust into. The Fengtian are at war. With the invasion by the devils, I must defend the homeland at all costs. Do not write back. Please, get the family to Rehe, even better, Taiyuan. And even more promising, our cousin in Shenze along the Hutuo River. The Fengtian will not allow these devils from the sea reach the Heavenly Capital of the old Qing nor the beloved Republican Capital of Nanjing.

Your loving son,
Jiang Luoyang.

November 26th, 1931
A few months later in Qiqihar, I found myself under heavy fire from the enemy. It was a fury unseen even in my days of the Warlord Era. The unimaginable surplus of artillery and use of planes I haven't seen before. The damned devils took Mukden and now dare take Heilongjiang. Such an act shouldn't have been allowed to happen, but we lost to the devils at not just Qiqihar, but also at Nenjiang Bridge. So many brothers, so many fallen and martyred. At least a company at Nenjiang and another battalion or two at Qiqihar. I vow that our return will lead to their vengeance, but my only concern is when.

January 31st, 1931
It is almost the end of the year, but here I am, being shelled to death by the devils. Warlord Zhang Xueliang lost in Liaoning, losing Jinzhou and countless cities in the past month and Ma Zhanshan sending my unit to aid Ting Chao to defend the capital of Harbin. Of course, we lacked everything but brothers, but sheer manpower cannot win this war and our continual shortages of heavy equipment and ammunition for them has ruined our army. We can only hope we win in soldiers versus soldiers, but the damn devils have their machine guns, planes, unlimited grenades, and artillery. And there goes the shells again. They pound at our positions and our own artillery guns being useless in shifting our battle.

March, 1932
Our losses were humiliating. How dare Zhang Z.S. and Ting Chao surrender to the devils. All for money and they would cooperate. Myself and several others had enough, taking what food, ammunition, and other equipment we can and left. Our small undermanned battalion, though just one of many, have fled to friendly territory down south. Our trek led to Liaoning, but the enemy control forced us to stay in the forest regions. Soon, news came of the great Zang Shiyi in Mukden refusing cooperation, but foolhardy in staying where he had no support and imprisoned by the devils. We soon reached Rehe months later and then took up positions on the Great Wall. Though it was never used under the Ming, we had hoped it shall slow down the devils due to our positions at least of the hills where artillery and other firepower other than rifles to be reduced. I only hope we can hold until Jiang Jieshi officially declares war against the devils.