CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

Kaitlin loved her tight jeans and big shirts, with her booties and low top shoes. But Kaitlin always admired the way Carter looked so effortlessly beautiful in absolutely anything. "Thanks for doing this, Kait. I really need this," the strawberry blonde spoke, exiting her bathroom. Kaitlin pulled out a flowered top with excitement, her dark eyes twinkling. Carter smiled genuinely at her friend, leaning against the doorframe. "Cee, we've been best friends for years. I know that you need this." Both girls laughed at Kaitlin's words. Despite not being the closest to Carter, Kaitlin knew her extremely well. "You've gone through a lot in your short life, and I want to help make things better. So, after the fundraiser, why don't we go flirt up some old guy and get some alcohol?"

Carter laughed harder at her words. She was spontaneous, that was for sure. "You know what,
okay. I could get drunk. We can invite Ty and Toby." Kaitlin's eyebrows wiggled playfully at her friend. "Is there something between you and Toby that I don't know about?" Her eyes widened in surprise, and she choked on her own spit. "What? No! No, he definitely has the hots for Elena," Carter replied. She snatched the top from Kaitlin's grip with an eye roll. "You know what, get out. Go get dressed, hooligan." Once Kaitlin exited Carter's room and shut the door, the teetering strawberry blonde fell against the wall and slowly slid down until her bottom hit the floor.

Ever since her transition, Carter had felt like she was hovering outside of her body. She wasn't connected with herself anymore, and the only thing fueling her was this scorching anger. Sitting there, staring blankly at her bed, she remembered that night. She remembered the way her chest clenched as she looked down at a peacefully sleeping Jackson sprawled across her bed. She remembered the tears swirling behind her forest green eyes, sticking painfully to her skin. She wanted to hide away, and to get rid of all of this pain. Waking up without a single memory of the Salvatore's balanced her equilibrium. Yet, here she was with that very memory, knowing that her life would soon turn to hell.

Calm tears began to trickle down her fair skin, staining the fabric shielding her chest with dark spots. This unnerving numb feeling washed over the still girl, showering her with this feeling of being alone. She was alone in this fight, whether anyone argued with her. No one could walk with her through this obstacle. She wiped blankly at the tears stinging her face and pulled herself off of the floor. That top remained in her grasp, and Carter found herself flinging it toward her bed. To accentuate the stunning blues, she grabbed a highwaisted, denim skirt and her black pumps. She quickly rid herself of her overnight clothes and replaced them with her new outfit choice. She left her face void of makeup, exposing the redness to her cheeks and her natural, dark lashes.

Kaitlin was downstairs with Carol Lockwood, talking animatedly about the fundraiser. Tyler stood in the kitchen, glass pressed to his lips full of ice cold water. "Good morning, beautiful!" Carol chirped upon noticing Carter's descent. She smiled at her aunt and accepted her hug, greeting her softly in return. "You guys ready to go?" the older of the four asked with a wide smile. Carter slowly nodded her head, linking her arm with Kaitlin's. Tyler walked behind everyone, his eyes staring at the back of his cousin's head. She was so different now. Looking at her, he couldn't see that same light from before. She didn't harbor that full feeling when you would let everything out and she would be in front of you with that smile on her face, and you would just feel full because she was always there.

The car ride was silent. Kaitlin and Carter sat in the backseat, both girls staring silently out their windows. Wickery Bridge was an unpleasant reminder of the past. Looking at it, Carter could only think about how much pain it had caused Elena. And she, surprisingly, found herself cracking a smile. She approached the construction, her eyes scanning over the scattered bodies. An unfamiliar beating echoed within her ears, deafening the construction equipment. A sweat broke across her forehead. This sweet smell began to fill her senses, and her mouth began to water. A man cursed loudly, breaking the echoes within her head. Everything fell silent when her eyes zeroed in on the crimson liquid spilling across his dark skin. His sweat glistened beneath the sunlight. He looked like the perfect meal for the newly turned hybrid.