Chapter Five: Secrets Are No Fun

Start from the beginning

Natalia looked up as she said this, and saw Cedric stiffen and pale slightly. He knew something, something which Natalia intended to get out of him.

“What? Do you know the Rose?” Natalia coaxed, casually brushing her hand against Cedric’s. “You can tell me, you know. I won’t be mad.” She used a deep, smooth voice that was similar to Sylvia’s, and mentally chided herself against using such an underhanded tactic. She knew full well that Cedric had a small crush on her, and she was using it to her advantage.

Cedric blushed slightly and mumbled. “Well, she um, she kind of... she comes here every now and then, you know? She knows father... and, well, she should be coming back in a few days. B-but she got mad. M-m-maybe she isn’t coming, who could say. Um...” But before he could say anymore, Natalia leaned over and pecked him on the cheek, causing his face to turn bright pink.

“Thank you, that’s all I need to know.” Natalia said, still using her Sylvia-inspired voice. “You’ve been really helpful.” She got up from the bench and left the room. Her weapon could wait, she needed to speak to Bolts.

When she entered the back room, Natalia immediately saw Bolts standing at the middle case, arranging his gaseous rings by size and stone.Taking a few steps towards the case, she came to a stand next to Bolts.

Looking into the case and focusing on Bolts’ fingers, Natalia began, “So, what’s this I hear about the Rose? It sounds to me like she comes here too.”

Bolts stopped rearranging. “How did you find out?”

Natalia turned away from the display and looked him in the eye. “It wasn’t hard, and I have my ways. That was all I needed to know and-”

“And nothing.” Bolts cut her off, his cheery expression gone and replaced by stone cold fury. “You are under no circumstances to hang around here waiting for her so you may attack. If you wish to fight her you must find her your own way and fight her somewhere else, not in my shop. Understood?”

Natalia let out an exasperated sigh. “Fine. But if I happen upon her anywhere else I will not hold back. This is personal Bolts, it really is.”

Bolts opened his mouth as if to say something, but thinking better of it, he closed it like a fish.  Natalia’s mind was made up and there was nothing he could do or say about it. He could only hope for the best.

Natalia turned and re entered the workshop. Though she was incredibly annoyed at both Bolts and Cedric, she still wished to create a weapon. Finding the appropriate mold she poured the liquid metal in, and started on the device for storing and hiding it.

The idea was a simple one to Natalia. A small X shaped hollister would be created out of a thin but strong leather. Right where the two bands would meet would be positioned between her shoulder blades, and there she would carry one of the longest weapons she had ever owned. The blade would run halfway down her spine, and easily concealed. It wasn’t as if she would have to bend over, being a young woman and all. The only thing Natalia worried about was the handle. She had taken the extra precaution of making the mold for the blade a thin one, but the handle would still have to be balanced with it. She worked slowly and carefully, making the handle just the right size for the grip of her hand. But still, for all she knew, she would still have to adjust the weight.

“We have some weights and scales, if you’d like to check the balance.” Cedric offered. “And I believe this one is corresponding to the mold you chose.”

Natalia couldn’t believe how sweet he was being, even after she had used him. Perhaps he hadn’t realized yet. Either way, she was glad. “Thanks.” She said graciously, taking the mold from his hand and putting both it and her handle on the scale. Luckily for her, she only had to add on the slightest amount of weight to make them even.